Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emiemir

Sad Orange tree Lane Late variety

EmiEmiR
11 years ago

Hi,
I have had a young orange tree (Lane Late variety) for nearly two years. It was really healthy despite the strange shape :)
It is however looking a little sick / sad / unhealthy at the moment. The top branches have lost pretty much all their leaves over the winter and some are dying. They were covered in blooms last week and still have a few. I thought at first that it might have been from the winter, even though we didn't get very cold here in Barcelona, Spain.
I read a few posts on here this morning and I guess all could apply to my poor little tree.
The healthy looking branches at the bottom seem to have the same shaped leaves (and new ones) as the top had and had a few blossoms too BUT they have thorns, whereas the top doesn't. I kept them growing because it filled the tree up a bit. I read here that because of the thorns they could be from the bottom part of the tree (roots) and not the Lane Late orange tree part. Now, if these are suckers (right name??), should I cut them off? Now? Will that not affect the tree negatively?
I also read that the wind could affect the foliage. We are on the 6th floor of the building and it gets pretty windy at times... Could this be the cause?
And the top of the tree is in the sun in the morning at the moment before 13:00 ish and the pot is in the shade then and only gets in the sunshine in the afternoon. Could this be another problem where the roots are cold and the leaves are / were depleted of their water...
I hope someone can enlighten me on this.... I have got a little more confused after reading these posts this morning and would appreciate some help and advice.
Thanks already for your comments!

(THe first photo here is from April 2012 before the big branches appeared at the bottom)

Comments (5)