Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy31513

Roundup Citrus trees

Randy31513
12 years ago

I have pruned my citrus trees to get the dropping branches off the ground. Now of course grass and weeds are moving in with all the new sun shine. Is roundup a good choice to control the weeds?

Randy

Comments (6)

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

How many trees do you have? I use generic roundup for my field trees; but for my garden trees I use a hoe!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

There is a flurry of research now out about the potential for glyphosate containing products causing problems to non-target woody plants via the underground rhizosphere. The rhizosphere is a very complex region encompassing the shallow (absorbing) root system, the soil system, and the microbial population.

Here's the scary thing....the root systems of plants that cohabit an area SHARE the rhizosphere. Systemic chemicals applied to one plant can be communicated to the others via the chemical and biological links shared in that rhizosphere.

I don't use RoundUp around the base of woody plants anymore. I don't know how many trees you have, but maybe some bales of Georgia Longleaf (or Loblolly) Pine might be a good option for you.

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Thanks, Rhizo, I hadn't heard about the glyphosate issues; I have been considering changing to paraquat generic instead; it is the same price but only kills the top of the weed without killing the root.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

What John and Rhizo said. Stay away from RoundUp under trees. And Rhizo's suggestion of pine needle mulch is a double win do to the small increase you'll get to the acidity of your soil, which citrus do like. You're much better off doing some hand-pulling. Then, mulch 3 to 4 inches with compost topped with wood chips. You're set! If you really want to treat your trees, add some worm casings to the compost. You'll smother the weeds, the few that try to come up will be spindly and easily pulled. Keep the mulch about 2 to 3 inches away from the trunk to prevent rot. Your trees will look exceptional, and you'll have the labor down to nothing. I'm all about the easiest way to garden, and mulch is my friend, lol! I have over 50 citrus trees, and over 100 fruit trees in all. ALL are mulched. In fact, my entire acre+ is mulched for both weed control and water retention. I do very, very little hand weeding. And almost no RoundUp (except for an occasional small treatment with weeds coming up in between my pavers.)

Patty S.

• Randy31513
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tried hoeing but the roots are so close to the surface in places. I have been using pine straw around the drip line but not up under the canopy.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Roundup is out, pine straw is back in.

LOL Thank goodness I have a lot of pine trees.

Randy

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Be careful with the pH of your soil; some parts of Georgia soils are so acidic you may need to add wood ash or lime to optimize tree health. Pine straw will further acidify the soil... it is a large part of the reason for the low pH in the first place. Citrus do best in 5.5 to 7, and okay 5 to 8; outside that range production becomes a more intense exercise.