Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blemishes and sticky substance on fruit

Posted by tropicalgrow516 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 10:05

I have several grafted trees. All the ones that have had fruit or blossoms have had a sticky sap like substance on the fruit. The fruit will then rapidly ripen and blemishes as pictured will form as well.
One tree, a eureka lemon, got the stickyness on all its forming fruit and then lost 95% of its leaves. I havent looked super close on all the plants but so far i havent seen scale. Ive sprayed with an all purpose flowering tree pesticide for a week but so far it hasnt seemed to work
What to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blemishes and sticky substance on fruit

Greasy Spot??

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ch015

o

if pesticide didn't alleviate the problem, try a fungicide.

o

What's the deal with that split in the fruit?

o

@rhizo_1:

I should've been more explicit, but that is part of my question (indicated by the word "blemishes" in the title of the thread). Indoor or outdoor, my citrus fruit has been rapidly ripening and then getting these blemishes before becoming fully ripe, even after several applications of pest killer. It has been concurrent with the sticky substance on the fruit. It has so far happened to a half dozen fruit on two trees. I've never seen anything like this before. I'm about to go to the store to get some copper-containing fungicide to apply to the trees. Soon I won't have any fruit left!

o

Did you check the pictures in my link?

o
RE: sticky substance on fruit

Keep scrolling down and youll see the picture of the fruit. It looks similar to your second pic.

o

@blazeaglory - yes, i did take a look, and do see the resemblance. the plants have been sprayed with the antifungal spray

o

Have you been having any cold spells lately?

o

About 95% of the split citrus I"ve seen is from uneven watering. Too dry too long followed by too much. The problem is made even worse with some tight skinned fruit. Container grown outdoors also contributes in warm climates. Lemons are not usually victims since most have thick spongy inner rinds.

What area are you in?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here