Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much wind can citrus trees take?

Posted by bedtime Southern Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 11:05

I'm 10 floors up in an apartment facing SW and the temperature is finally high enough for the meyer lemon tree to benefit from being outside. Its about 16C (61F). My meyer tree has a stable trunk and is 5' in height.

The issue is there are 28km (17m/h) winds with 50km (32m/h) gusts.

The wind is going south right now... Anyways, do you think it would be safe to put the tree on the balcony in this wind?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much wind can citrus trees take?

NO, IF YOU PUT IT OUT IT WILL BE DAMAGED. It needs to be hardened off in lighter weather

o

Hmmmm, well I did have it out for a little bit today. Maybe 2-3 hours but I hadn't received a reply and kinda was a little eager. I didn't notice any leaves falling off and the tree 'looks' the same. Could there be damage in the leaf stems from the wind? I feel bad now. I need patience. I had brought the schefflera and ficus elastica out there too and it looks fine as well.

o

Any damage would be visible such as snapped twigs, folded leaf stems and torn leaves. The invisible damage is sunburn. leaves don't turn red like we do after a few days the leaves loose some color and eventually die. That won't kill the tree, but it may look awfully sick for a while. Ease it in and out of the sun over a week or two and it should be just fine. The main thing to worry about high winds is the the leave are more tender and much more prone to tearing in the wind. Also the full force of the wind might not have been hitting your balcony. We hit 73 deg today in Cincinnati.

o

poncirusguy,

Are you saying that I wont know for a few days if the leaves were damaged? I hope it's okay. : (

Anyways, I posted a picture. So far everything looks okay but time will tell I guess. :s

o

I just noticed your in southern Ontario. The solar angle is still so low that there is no chance of sunburn but you must acclimate the tree to sunlight over about a week or the tree can be shocked and loose a lot of leaves. There is no damage that I can see from your pics, The tree looks great. You have nothing to worry about.. I hope you get fruit from the flowers I see.

Here is a link to my tree pics click on any one to see full size
Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile?banner=pwa

o

Sun plus wind could be quite a jolt for your plants.

o

poncirusguy,

To set the acclimation today I opened my windows near the plants to let the slightly cool soft breeze in. So I figure this would be a nice first step.

I was looking at your plants before and I'm amazed you've been able to bring them up so well indoors and with artificial lighting! It's not my style but I respect you for being able to do it!

rhizo_1,

Yes, taking it slow now. :)

o

All of my plants, both citrus and garden starts are fully hardened except my kumquat tree. I am giving it 1-3 hours of sun each day for about a week and then It will be ready to go out on warm days till summer when she goes up on my roof till fall. Thanks for looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here