Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Where the Heck is MeyerMike?

Mike, where are you, buddy? I hope all is well with you, and you're in good health. Same to your mom. Haven't seen you post in a while, and was just getting a wee bit concerned.

Patty S.

Comments (17)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Patty,

How have you been?

Sorry, I didn't see your thread until I hit Submit, then returned to Citrus.

Mike is MIA...that is, neglecting to post his beautiful Citrus trees.

Hope you're well, too. Toni

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm doing well, a little crazy as we're preparing for a wedding, so things are getting very busy here. And funny we both were thinking the same thing. Hope Mike is okay, feeling well and his mom is well.

Patty S.

• bedtime
    11 years ago

Hey mike, I'm from Canada too and growing a meyer lemon tree and a persian lime, and just wanted to say 'hi'. You are one of the people that had posts that inspired me to get into citrus when I was so skeptical.

Hope all is well! :)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Patty..yes, it's been a long time. Winter-time blues, ya know? :)

Preparing for a wedding....AW!

If you're the bride, Congrats....

Sounds like fun either way..it's been years since we've attended a wedding. 12 plus.

Have fun, and don't wear yourself out..lol

Bedtime...If you mean Mike, he lives in the states.

Yes, I agree. Mike is an inspiration. Sometimes to the point, my wallet feels much thinner. lol.

Your grafted, standard is nicely-shaped. Very healthy leaves.
    Toni

• bedtime
    11 years ago

Toni,

Lol, thanx for clearing that up. Do you happen to know Mike's screen name? I was referred to him.

meyer_mike, I've searched and read lots of your posts. So much good content in them. :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Howdy, citrus friends!

Mike is working strange hours lately, and lots of them!
    When he gets home, he hasn't had any energy to even get online.
    I got a text from him today, though, so I know that he's alive :-)

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope, it's my oldest (of 3) daughters, but thank you! So, we'll have 1 down, and 2 to go, lol! Josh, thanks for the update, tell Mike we miss him and hope that he's not working too hard!!

Patty S.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning,

Bedtime. I believe Mike's screen name is meyermike. The hyphen isn't necessry.
    Type his name in the search box.
    But, he hasn't been around, hence the Thread Subject of Posting.

Hey Josh... how you doing?

Someone said Mike wasn't feeling well..I hope he's okay.
    It would suc if he's sick AND working over-time..

Good news, Mike is alive... :)

Patty, well congrats to your daughter.
    Two to go..rofl.
    I know your poking fun about two to go, but once they all leave the nest...................

Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, doing well, Toni!
    Spring is here...but it's raining again today.
    Yes, Mike did have a couple bouts of illness, and I know he's been bummed about the snowy cold New England weather.

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Josh, glad to hear you're well.

Yep, spring is here, officially, but sure doesn't feel the season.

I don't know about CA, but IL needs rain..the earth is dry.
    Arums are up, but limp. When I noticed, it was too cold to water..I thought bulbs/corms might rot.

Cold climate winters take a lot out of people. Sunless skies, dry air and freezing temps..Most anyway.
    Some people love winter and detest summer.
    SADS doesn't apply to one season.

I'll phone Mike. If he's working or busy he'll return my call.
    Maybe we can lure him back to GW. Thanks Josh.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, S. California always needs more rain :-) We have had some, but I believe we're a few inches behind our average for the season, and we're running out of rainy season :-( We've have 3 years in a row with good rains, but each year declining, so we're probably slowly heading into another drought situation, which we struggle through every 10 years or so. Tell Mike we miss him, and hope he is not working his fingers to the bones.

Patty S.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Patty...I've been watching the Weather Channel. Most states are getting much-needed rain.

S. Ca will probably be next in line.
    Is the air normally humid? Has that rain feeling, but nada?

We're not far from Des Plaines and creek. Both look weird when the average rainfall isn't reached.
    On the other hand, when we get too much rain, several towns get flooded.

I've seen the brush fires in CA. Terrible! I often wonder if they're natural or man-made.

I'll give Mike your message. I'll try calling him later.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sadly, we're done with our rainy season, Toni. We get our rain only in the winter and early spring. We are essentially rainless for the rest of the year. So, we'll just have to see how next year's rainy season goes. And no, we're definitely NOT humid here. The only time we get any degree of humidity is during the summer, when we get some monsoon effect pushing up and west from the Gulf of Mexico periodically (no rain, just a little bit of humidity). S. California is more or less one big desert. We have very, very different weather patterns than you get in the midwest. I lived in N. Indiana for 10 years. The weather is very different here. And, the terrible wildfires are almost always started by 1 of 3 things, always in combination with our awful Santa Ana winds that scream down from the mountain passes from the east. That occurs in the Fall. The humidity plummets, the winds will kick up to frightening speeds and then we either have some stupid person out in the mountains, trying to camp and light a fire, or we get power lines blown down. Rarely, we'll get lightening from the monsoons (no rain, sadly, just lightening) that can start a fire. We sit in fear of these every Fall.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh wow, I appreciate the kindness and concern from you all here!

Thank you. I have been under the weather and too tired to do anything but work and sleep. I miss being here and the kindness the few of you display. I'I noticed one new person and the usual good thoughtful people I am not surprised that care.

Thank you so much again. My mom and I are getting much better and I hope to be back more often again. Miss you all.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh dear, Mike. I was afraid this was the case. Hope you are feeling better, and tell your mom that I will be thinking of her and wishing her a swift recovery. And you, too. Gosh darn. Winters are tough on you, Mike. I say, bring your mom out here to sunny S. California where we have some lovely mild winters!

Patty S.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Well, I am so glad to see you here! We've been worried, as you can tell! About your Mom, too. Get healthy, both of you.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mike, you're back.
    The million-dollar question: Will you stay?

I'm sorry you and mom aren't well; hopefully your health resumes once spring, actually arrives.
    Sun does wonders. A natural, miracle drug.
    Do you and your mom spend time outside?

Mike, you're missed...

Patty..Wild-fires are scary. Although I don't live in CA, and never experienced wild-fires, I've seen several thousand acres burning away, spread by strong winds, on the WC and news.

When will people learn? You don't build a fire, then leave it unattended. People should be certain their camp-fire is completely out before leaving.

I've been to LA, CA as a teen. Thankfully, no quakes or fire. Both scare the heck out of me.
    The month was Oct..day temps were in the 80's, nights in the mid-30's.
    Yes, the west coast is certainly different than the midwest.

You lived in IN...we were neighbors..:) Which state do you prefer? Do you miss 4 seasons?
    Shoveling in winter? lol. Bet not.

My conception of CA has changed since joining GW. lol.