Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larrygarden

citrus leaves (multiple trees)

larrygarden
11 years ago

Hi,
I have 4 different citrus trees in my backyard.
1. Washington Navel Orange
2. Grapefruit
3. Tangerine
4. Kumquat
I have uploaded the pictures at here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ooyxzd6w8r2xe1u/pW13XHroTv

They have been planted for 2 years. They don't look good. Any suggestions? Water or disease or fertilizer?

Thanks in advance.
Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: citrus_leaves

This post was edited by larrygarden on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 12:00

Comments (10)

• skinn30a
    11 years ago

Tree looks underfed to me and is presenting a Magnesium deficiency.

In the beginning, it was hard for me to feed my trees as much as they needed to be fed ��" I just couldnâÂÂt wrap my head around how much fertilizer that I needed to put down.

My recommendation is to âÂÂspoon feedâ young trees. For oneâÂÂs the size & age of the one in the photo, I would apply 1.25lb of 6-6-6 or 8-8-8 once a month through-out the growing season ��" do not use slow release. First feeding should occur after the risk of frost, last feeding would be 3 months before the risk of frost. Feed with a granular micro-nutrient mix once a quarter if your fertilizer does not contain them, SouthernAg makes a good one ��" 1/4 cup per tree per quarter. Spread the fertilizer in a 12inch band around and just outside of the treeâÂÂs drip line.

You might also consider hitting this tree with a foliar spray of 1.25Oz Calcium Nitrate + 1.25Oz Epsom Salt to get it going until it has time to pick up the granular. The use of a wetting agent will greatly increase the effectiveness of the foliar sprays. CoCo Wet is a good one to start with. You can get Epsom Salts, Calcium Nitrate, and a Product by the name of M.OS.T from J.R. Peters. M.O.S.T is a good all-round micro nutrient spray. Another product by the name of KeyplexHG is also a good foliar fertilizer. The trees should get most of their nutrients from their roots and the sprays should be supplemental. Spray in the early morning and make sure to get the undersides of the leaves.

SouthernAg Essential Minor Elements: http://www.sunshinegardensfl.com/servlet/the-162/Essential-Minor-Elements-Dry/Detail

J.R. Peters Specialty Nutrient source: http://www.jrpeters.com/Products/Specialty-Nutrients/Buy-Specialty-Nutrients.html

KeyplexHG source: http://www.keyplexdirect.com/our-products/207.html

CoCoWet source: http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com/Coco-Wet-8-oz/productinfo/CCW/

Best,

Skinn30a

• larrygarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot for the replies.
    Yes, I am in San Diego.
    I have citrus/avocado food from Homedepot. It doesn't work well?

I attached a picture from another grapefruit tree I have. Is that the same problem? Thanks again!

• larrygarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another tangerine tree leaves. Also not good.

• larrygarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another picture. This is the best looking leaves I have.

This post was edited by larrygarden on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 20:41

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

The fertilizer you are using is not doing the job, that is chlorosis for sure. You want to make sure what you are using contains iron and manganese.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    11 years ago

Symptoms of underfeeding are identical to overfeeding. Sure looks like chlorosis but is it too much or too little food? Most look dry. A clue is the grapefruit and tandergine pics with the salt tip burn. .
    Your pics look very similar to mine from the past year. The last picture is how i remember my meyer looking just before it went downhill. I overfed and burned the roots to oblivion.
    Questions:
    How much and how often have you fed the trees?
    Specifically where did you apply the fertilizer? i.e. how far from the trunk?
    Is your irrigation water soaking the trunk? ...and possibly running fertilizer rich water into it?

Too much, too close, too wet. i did it all. No feeding since last July and lots of flushing. Most all of my citrus is back or coming back. The ones on Carrizo root stock (standard) are doing the worst... but are fighting their way back.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Patty has given you the best advice... take it and soon your trees will be happy

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

buyorse is correct - either switch up your fertilizer or make sure you're applying enough. For us in San Diego county, Becauseican, we rarely have an issue of "too much", as most of us are on very thin soils here, mainly DG and caliche. A few folks deal with clay, but the majority of us are dealing with very well draining soil that leeches out nutrients with very little organic matter (as you enjoy much more of, up in San Francisco). Larry, not sure which fertilizer from Home Depot you're using? Vigoro Citrus & Avo Food? If so, make sure it's the one with micros. You'll want to see Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc and Calcium at least in the micronutrient section (calcium for us is not critical, as we have plenty in our soils). If so, then you're fine. It's a decent product. Just be sure you apply enough per tree, and get a good fertilizing down now. Wished we could have put it down last week, with our little mini-heat wave we had, as temps have cooled off, now, but let's get a good amount down now, and water it in well. Then, in 30 days, lay down another application. At that point, you should see flush, and if so, you'll want to consider treating for CLM (Citrus Leafminer). You can choose to put down a systemic product (Bayer Advanced Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control) in May, or, if you prefer to use something organic (Bayer Advanced is Imidicloprid), you can opt to spray with Volck Oil and Spinosad starting at about the middle of June, and spray every 3 to 5 weeks through the end of October. Just don't use Volck Oil if temps are over 85 degrees, or it can burn the leaves. Then, another fertilizer application in July, and a last one in September. And thanks, John. I may not know everything, but know a thing or two about citrus in San Diego county ;-)

Patty S.

• larrygarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the soil itself is very poor. I will try it.