Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange tree leaves fell off overnight

Posted by rahamad Arizona (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 12:10

I have three citrus trees in my phoenix area yard. This morning I went out and the orange tree had dropped a layer of leaves on the ground, and when I shake the tree, more fall off. The leaves are still green, no sap, no black, no mold, just fallen off.

I fertilized my citrus with slow release fertilizer about 5 days ago, and did a deep watering after I applied the fertilizer.

The tree also just finished blossoming a few days ago.

Any ideas on what happened to my orange tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange tree leaves fell off overnight

rahamad, if you can supply photos of this tree and your others near it, that would be helpful. Sounds like maybe you have something going on at the roots. Possibly gopher damage. Have you checked carefully around the roots of the tree to see if there is evidence of gopher activity?

Patty S.

o
RE: Orange tree leaves fell off overnight

I doubt that there is anything wrong with your tree. When a citrus tree is in bloom, it sheds many of its older leaves that are no longer capable of producing the amount of photosynthates that they should. This is a very common time of year for citrus leaf drop. The leaf drop will soon stop, as the bloom season comes to an end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here