Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this some sort of Insect Egg Sac or a Fungus?

Posted by tlgj Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 12:20

Can anyone help me identify what this is? It is growing in my Lemon tree pot, and has just started in my Lime tree pot as well. I noticed the first one about a week ago, and I knocked it off the side of the pot. It is hard, almost like a dirt dobber nest. The next day, there was a new one, and I knocked that one off as well. Now there are three of these on my lemon tree pot, and one in my lime tree pot. The one in my lime tree pot is more pink than yellow. If you can identify it, please let me know if I need to get rid of it, or just let it be. I'm in Houston, by the way.

Here's a picture:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sl074y&s=5

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this some sort of Insect Egg Sac or a Fungus?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 13:16

I have no idea what it is but whatever it is, I wouldnt think twice about removing them.

Mike

o

Looks like a fungal growth on the oak of the barrel you have it planted in; I doubt it is a factor with the tree.

I would take it off; and then scrub the oak with a mild Clorox solution... very mild.

Full sun will help, if it is in fact a wood fungus.

o

I'd like to see an image without so much reflected light and (here's the big thing) I'd like to see what it looks like when you cut it in half. Close ups.

o

yeah, too much light, can't see any kind of details on it.

looks a bit like some insect egg sacs.

o

It is an oak fungus... there are a thousand fungi that adore oak; it is one of many reasons I never advise people to plant Meyers in oak barrels. The important thing is it is not likely impacting the citrus, so "Don't worry, be happy"

o

• Posted by tlgj none (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 10:15

Thanks to everyone for your help! Those of you that are saying it is an oak fungus, it is pretty hard. Is that normal for a fungus to be hard and crusty? I tried cutting one in half and it just disintegrated on me...Nothing of substance was inside when it did. It was just like breaking up a dirt dobber nest. Here is another picture of the same one. Oddly enough it had turned pink by the time I got home from work. Either way, I'll just get rid of them. Just wanted to try and find out what it was before I did.

http://tinypic.com/r/k1vp77/5

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here