Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmeena

Mexican Lime Tree (Semi-Dwarf)

jmeena
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to GardenWeb. I live in Los Angeles. I have a Mexican lime tree (semi-dwarf) purchased approx. 2-3 years ago. It's always been in a pot (the same one pictured).

I think I've harvested maybe a handful of limes from it, total. It flowers but not fruit. Sometimes a small fruit will grow but turns black.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it? I'm attaching pics.

Thank you in advance.

This post was edited by jmeena on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 13:36

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Well, first off, it is severely chlorotic. You don't mention what potting mix it is in, how frequently and well you water, and how frequently you fertilize your tree?? Is the tree in full sun? And, it is possible you may need to pot up, have you checked the roots recently, to see if the tree is getting root-bound? Need more info to help you out.

Patty S.

• jmeena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty,

Thank you so much for the response. I'm also a newbie to gardening. I probably used Kelloggs Patio Plus All Natural Outdoor Potting Soil. I water it probably every third to fourth day with a hose until I see the water start to drain from the pot. I may have put fertilizer for the first time Feb or March of this year. It gets full sun (at least 8 hours).

I'm sorry I dont know what pot up or what is root-bound. I am so ignorant! I do not never checked the roots (how to?)

Jamie

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Okay, no problems :-) You're watering well through, so that's really great. I'm thinking your potting soil may be a wee bit too heavy. Citrus like very well draining soil, so you might want to re-pot with a cactus mix. I like to use EB Stone's Cactus Mix. If you can't find that, go to a very good quality gardening center/nursery, as pick up their best Cactus Mix. Also, what fertilizer are you using? With container citrus, you're better off using a 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer, and apply with every watering or at least every other watering. Many folks (as well as me), like to use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro. I do every other watering, but I also supplement with Osmocote Plus (must be the Plus formulation as it also has micros and the best NPK ratio for citrus) time release fertilizer. About every 2 to 3 months, I do a good flushing to rinse out any salt build up from the fertilizer. Let's try re-potting with a better draining mix, check the roots to make sure they're not circling the pot, and trim carefully to straighten out, and then apply the fertilizer and see if your little lime tree greens up for you and starts to flush. In order to set and hold fruit, your tree needs a large enough leaf canopy to support fruit development.

Patty S.

• jmeena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty,

Thanks again. I'll try all of your advice. I don't know what fertilizer I used. The box said it was a citrus fertilizer and it looks like small pebbles, definitely not liquid (that much I know - ha!)

Jamie

• Deborah lippitt
    4 years ago

why is it in a pot? Living where you do it could easily been grown in the ground.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago

Original post was six years ago!

• Deborah lippitt
    4 years ago

So..I read old posts all the time..gather info at least..

• Silica
    4 years ago

Deboah, the poster is long gone, she will never see your post