Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lime123_gw

Bringing potted Bearss Lime Outdoors

lime123
10 years ago

Wonderful citrus gurus, I am aware that my Meyer lemon needs a gradual stift from indoors to out, but does a Bearss lime have the same light sensitivity? Also, about how many limes would be a safe number to have on this 3yr? old tree? I don't want to allow it to get stressed. Thank you ahead of time. Patricia

Comments (21)

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

I would do the same with the lime. You are so lucky to be able to bring your citrus outside. I still have another month until they can go outside to sun tan. I wouldn't worry about removing fruit your tree will only grow as many as it can support. By the way very nice looking tree..

Brian

• lime123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brian, Thank you--and now, what about the cold transition? The tag directions say the tree can tolerate to 40 degrees. Again, I don't want to stress it or my lemon. They have been in about 60 degrees all winter. Is a night time temp of 40 or 50 degrees going to stress them? Thanks again.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Hi lime123 temperatures of temps between 40 and 50 will be ok for the tree . A little stress will never hurt anyone or anything. There is always a little stress on any plants when you bring them out from the indoors even if the temperature is warm. Sometimes you have to worry about the wind which I find is really hard on plants if they have been grown indoors for any length of time. So shelter them from strong winds when you bring them out. Fresh air will be fine for your plants but you will need to baby them for the first few weeks from the sun , wind and temperatures if you are bringing them out now. Your trees look very happy where they are now so if you feel uncomfortable about the temps leave them in for a couple of more weeks.
    So in short there is always some shock when plants come out but 40 to 50 should not kill your tree. If your bringing your trees out from a greenhouse the transition will be a lot easier.

Brian

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

All plants need that treatment....

Imagine being indoors all winter and then taking a trip tp the beach on a first springs day..Most likely you will get burned on unprotected skin..

Gradually introduce it to the sunlight over the next two weeks and it will be just fine..

Beautiful tree by the way.

Mike

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Lime123 you think 40 to 50 is bad we don't even get 40 to 50 for a high. Here is a picture of my Shasta and blood getting a little afternoon delight. Poor thins never see the sun in the greenhouse because they are to short. I see my fence is going to need a little work.

Brian

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Very nice looking trees Brian...

Mike

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike . Just think we will both have all of our plants outside soon. Oh the Joy. You a lot sooner than I. 2 to 4 inches of snow on Tuesday after 70 degrees on Sunday and Monday .

Brian

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    10 years ago

Mike and Brian, I don't know how you guys do it. I see in your picture Brian the snow against the fence. Here's a pic of some of my citrus trees enjoying the desert warmth. Here's to hoping it warms up soon for you guys!
    Evan

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Evan I can't speak for Mike but for myself it is called medication. Joking aside the seasons really are nice to have except this winter it's been extremely long and cold. Evan that is a really cool picture of your lush green backyard and the sharp cut off to the bone dry desert. It really is big sky country , beautiful . Those are really nice citrus you have. What types are they and are they dwarf ?

Brian

• lime123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful, amazing photos, wonderful citrus trees and such helpful advice. Thank you all. I do appreciate it. --and what zone do you live in, Brian?

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Hi Lime123 . I live in zone 2 seasons winter and July . It is actually zone 5. I actually bring my trees out at the end of May when there are no more threats from frost. Even at the end of May night time temperatures can drop into the 30s. Personally if I had temperatures that only dropped into the 40s and 50s at night all my plants would be outside. You guys are so lucky.

Brian

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    10 years ago

Brian, thanks I appreciate it. The tree in the right front behind the aloe vera is a Rio Red grapefruit, I'm thinking it is a semi dwarf, it came with my house and has been in the ground for 6 years this August. Just to the left of the grapefruit, and it's hard to see, is a standard bearss lime tree that I planted in February this year, it's covered with pea sized limes right now and still blooming. To the very left of the picture is a key lime tree also in the ground for 6 years, I think it is a semi dwarf too.
    Evan

• lime123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indeed we are lucky to be where we can experience 50 degree nights so early in the Spring. And here i've been considering moving to a warmer climate. You must be delighted at your success with such cold temperatures. Do contratulate yourself. Patricia

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Thankyou Patricia for your extremely kind words. Growing citrus this far north is extremely rewarding. I have been doing this for over 10 years and I have loved every minute of it. It can also be very heart breaking when you loose one. I have lost 2 this year and maybe 3 , I have never lost one in over ten years. We had so little sun this winter I have never seen this . I really do love my hobby and it will give me something I love to do into my retirement. Patricia I hope you are north of the Mason Dixon line a major cold front is moving south and could bring record cold temperatures this week. Patricia once you get the hang of it you will see how easy it is to grow citrus even for us northern gardeners. There is nothing better than fresh limes and lemons

Evan that is a real nice rio red grapefruit I have tried to grow one but grapefruit need a lot of heat, did not work out. Nice bearss lime also , let me see one of your favorite drinks wouldnt happen to be margaretta's would it?

Brian

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Patricia I meant to say I hope your south of the Mason Dixon line . I am going to have to start proof reading. Sorry.

• lime123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, actually we are south of the Mason Dixon line. I checked our next week's weather and we will have some nights in the thirties but nothing like I asume you will experience. Best of luck. Even here the winter has been quite 'unusual' this year.
    Patricia

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello everyone...

Evan,

Beautiful yard is right. I love how that green grass is so green and then the cut off...You must stare at that green grass quite often..I sure would..Beautiful trees.

Brian...I hear you and feel your pain...Do you know that all the bulb plants I own are still encased in ice when I dig?
    Nothing in my area is in bloom yet and usually the crocus are up by March..Nothing..
    Now, that this warm weather is here for a few, just in time to make things bud then freeze to death by next week...What a joke..I only wish I could take my trees out and leave them there..Such a long wait and then it's over.
    Alcohol, popcorn and good movie get me through my winters..ha..

Patricia...Quite scary when you think about it..My friend think Aliens are dabbling with the jet stream..lol

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike .
    You just gave me the best laugh of the week . That's exactly what we are doing tonight alcohol , popcorn and a movie. 10 degrees at night Tuesday night with snow and 10 degrees Wednesday night. Does it get any better than this ? My trees are starting to show their frustration I hope yours are doing fine. I guess we are going to have to find a new hobby to get us through until we can start enjoying are real hobby CITRUS.

Brian

• bulb1776
    10 years ago

This is one of my in ground semi-dwarf bearss lime trees. It has been in the ground for two years. I used old style christmas trees lights and covered it for the first year. This last winter I didn't protect it at all. It actually dealt with the occasional mid 20 degree and consistent 30 degree nighttime temperatures quite well. That said, it did suffer some minor frost damage on the very top of the tree.

My experience has been that these particular lime trees deal with the cold weather better than advertised. I find the valencies and the eureka lemon and the mexican key lime trees to be much more cold sensitive than the Bearss.

• lime123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joncha, Wow!! What a wonderful tree and amazing that it can actually withstand those temperatures and look so good. It appears there are many limes getting close to perfection. I am sure you will enjoy the harvest. 9a seems to be a wonderful zone in which to reside. Patricia

• bulb1776
    10 years ago

I am amazed too. This tree consistently produces several times a year.

I love these bearss because they are productive and look very attractive during the cooler weather in my climate. Smell great and attract hummingbirds.

I am lucky to have an excellent local organic source for my trees and I suspect that they picked the right rootstock for my growing area. I am not an expert on rootstock but I have read that it does impact a trees ability to deal with wintertime cold weather. jon

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus