Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emeraldeclipse

Pomegranate Tree Getting Enough Sun?

EmeraldEclipse
9 years ago

I planted an Angel Red Pomegranate tree in my back yard last summer. At the time of purchase, it was about 3ft tall, now it has exploded to almost 10ft in under a year! The only problem is that it is not blooming! I live in sunny Savannah GA, it has been warm here for quite a while, and the tree is growing plenty of leaves, but no blooms yet.

Because we have such hot summers here, at the time of planing, I put it in a spot that gets ~6 hours of direct sun for fear that the temps and constantly dry soil would kill it (I can water my grass all day and its bone dry within an hour of turning off sprinkler). I am starting to second guess myself now, as my research says that I probably should have put it in full sun.

I don't have any 'all day sun' spots in my back yard, so I would have to put the tree in my front yard if a move becomes necessary (hopefully my neighbors wont pillage the fruit!)

I don't know if it matters, but I live on Wilmington Island, so our soil is almost completely sand and not the GA red clay we are know for.

Am I being impatient in expecting blooms now? Or does anyone thing that a move is in order? Thank you in advance for your advise!

Comments (15)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Impatient YES

• EmeraldEclipse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay... Can you elaborate? When do pomegranate trees usually bloom? Are my light conditions optimal? I have found conflicting answers.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Any tree growing as well as yours, is getting enough sun to produce fruit. Give it a year or 2 longer to build branch strength.

• EmeraldEclipse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I think I need to elaborate a little more. It's not the fruit I am talking about, but the flowers. When I bought the tree it had beautiful orange flowers on it. Shortly after I planted it, all of the blooms fell off. When I initially went to pull the tree from the pot, I think I tore a good bit of the root system off of the main tree, as it became loose from the rest of the dirt (rookie mistake, I know). I believe that this is what made the blooms fall off last year.

So my original question pertains more to the flowers than the fruit (I know the fruit doesn't usually ripen until September).

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

I would imagine it's putting most of it's energy into growing new roots and in turn then growing new foliage/branches. It will settle down soon enough and put out some blossoms. Mine, that are established for several years, don't blossom for about another month. April is a bit early, so yes you are just a bit impatient.

Btw, though, you do know this is the Citrus forum?

• mr_z1
    9 years ago

My Angel Red is about 4 feet tall and has more blooms then it can hold. Not sure why yours still hasn't bloomed as 10 feet is a mature pom. I would trim it down to a reasonable size no more than 6-7 feet and let it grow into a bush form to gather more sunlight. Angel red should be blooming March to May with fruits available from August to September.

• EmeraldEclipse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I apologize for not posting in the proper forum. I wasn't sure where it should go.

Mr.Z, how old is your Angel Red? How much light does it get?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

EmeraldEclipse

There is very little difference between pomegranate and citrus trees. This is the best forum for your tree questions.

• EmeraldEclipse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I think I will leave the tree where it is for this season and move it next year if it doesn't do well.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Don't even think of moving it. You will do far more damage to the roots that you can buy a new one. and it will do better. Best of all you will have 2 of them and a coice of diferent varieties at that. Any way the work will be avoided.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

There is a huge difference between pomegranates and citrus. This is the wrong forum to be asking pomegranate questions, I would ask on either the Fruits & Orchards forum or the Tropical Fruits forum. That being said, Red Angel takes a bit to establish. 6 hours of sun is probably enough. Once established, they are quite drought tolerant (considering where they grow as native plants). Just be sure to give is SOME regular watering. I suggest setting up a drip. And, give poms a couple of years to establish, they can take 3 to 5 years to start producing. I have two Angel Reds, and this is their third season. Hoping for some fruit this year from one or both.

Patty S.

• mr_z1
    9 years ago

EmeraldEclipse, my tree is about 4 years old now (4 years total, not the time since I got it). Where it sits now it gets about 5 hours of sun and if I had a better spot with more sun and planted in the ground, I would have probably double the growth.

I have two Angel Reds. One from Monrovia (growers) and the second from a regular nursery. I can tell you that compared to the Monrovia Angel Red, the nursery pom does not compare. I bought the Monrovia Angel red for close to 50 bucks while I got the nursery pom for 24 bucks and the nusery pom was 50% bigger. Well looks can be deceiving as my Monrovia Angel Red is much stronger, much fuller, much more greener and a excellent producer since day 1.

• houstontexas123
    9 years ago

my Angel Reds were leafing out when we had a late freeze this Spring that set it back about 2 months. mine are just now recovering and leafing out again.

normally, they'd be blooming about now.

• tracydr
    9 years ago

My two year old Pom has a bunch of fruit set and bloomed over a month ago. I'm in Phoenix so weather is certainly hotter.
    Mine is only 3-4 feet tall. Have you fertilized a lot? I found that mine seems to want a very small amount of organic fertilizer. It also doesn't need much water except when it's blooming or developing fruit. They grow here in the desert with very little extra care. Almost a xeriscape plant as far as I can tell.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Six hours is not ideal but not too bad, more is better but if it is truly 6 hours at least it's OK.

I'm betting it's because it's young. I went out and looked at my two trees yesterday. The old one that's been there for at least 15 years just started to bloom this week. The one I planted last year has grown quite a lot, but has no blossoms yet.
    So as long as it's getting; enough sun, enough water but not too much, and enough food, it's just still really young.