Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
backb

Help identifying my citrus tree

backb
12 years ago

I bought this citrus tree from loew's years ago . It has never fruited and has long thorns all over it. It has only had minimal blooms one year but never any fruit. Been planted for over four years and has only doubled in size to about eight feet.it has tri leaf oblong shaped formation. Can you help identify.

Comments (14)

• citrange2
    12 years ago

If it is all 'tri-leaf' then you have allowed the rootstock to grow and take over. You should have removed all 'tri-leaf' growth as soon as it appeared, because it is only required as the single stem on which the true citrus variety grows.
    Search to see if you can find any single leaf growth. If so, cut back all the tri-leaf to the main trunk and leave the single leaf growth to regain its strength.

• backb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't know to cut it back or the difference between the root stock and the graft . I think it is all three leafed on each stem. Is there any hope.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

backb, we can't see your tree, so it's hard to say if any of your original graft is even left, or if the trifoliate rootstock has taken over. First, look for the graft mark on the trunk. Remove all the branches below the graft line. If that would mean removing ALL the branches, that would tell you then that your graft has died, and you've only got roostock growing. Check to see if any branches have single leaves indicating the graft variety. Again, if not, you only have rootstock growing, so best to remove and replant. And watch for rootstock shoots growing again, and trim them away at the trunk.

Patty S.

• backb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Patty,
    I could not find a graft line and all branches have the same leaves. I will remove and try again. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with a novice :)
    Barbara

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

To keep it simple... I would replace the tree, with whatever variety you like (I would, of course recommend Meyer Lemon); and do yourself a favor... do not buy your replacement from Lowes or Home Depot, or any other disreputable big box seller of trees.

• fraserv
    12 years ago

Keep the tree, and buy another one. The tree you have is Poncirus Trifoliata - a common dwarfing rootstock for container citrus. From any fruiting tree, trim a few stems and tbud graft onto the Poncirus to form a new tree.

Leave the leaf petiole on the bud - after a few weeks if it falls off the graft has taken. Trim just above the new graft(s) just before growing season.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Not a bad idea fraserv (that's my maiden name, and my family is also from Canada), just takes a deft hand to graft citrus. But, it's a great way to learn, since you have your own viable rootstock. You can take cuttings and propagate the rootstock, and have several seedlings to use to graft to.

Patty (Fraser) S.

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Grafting/budding is an artform. I know how to do T-budding in citrus, and cleft grafting for avocados; and I have a grafting "machine" cutter for grapes, etc. The problem is when I do it, I am lucky if I get 40% success rate. My nurseryman who buds my Meyers last year did 4,125 at one time... and did not lose a single tree!!
    I would share him with you; but I don't think he has a US Visa and the airfare is a bit much for one tree.
    It helps that all my budwood trees are genetically identical; i.e., I created them all with buds from a single selected tree; the benefit is when they are transplanted to the field, every tree grows the same.

• PRO
    J Squared Home Designs
    8 years ago

We have a orange tree we bought in FLA 10 years ago- giving good fruit- but noticed another growth in the center of the tree that is giving off small green lime like fruit at the top. It has oblong small tri leaf and is at the top of the other growth. Could this actually be a lime tree grafted with an orange tree?

• citrange2
    8 years ago

No. The trifoliate growth is certainly from the rootstock but it is not a lime.

It is probably a citrumelo, or some other hybrid of citrus with poncirus trifoliata.

These hybrids are used for rootstocks and the fruits are generally not considered worth growing - they are often small, bitter and unpleasant tasting. The rootstock should not have been allowed to grow as it weakens and outgrows the grafted orange variety.

All the tall growth on your tree appears to be rootstock with trifoliate leaves.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    8 years ago

backb: If your plant is deciduous, it could be Poncirus trifoliata. If it retains some leaves in winter it could be a trifoliata hybrid (like Citrange). In either case, it is rootstock. I would throw it out and start fresh.

jewer49: Definiately any growth with trifoliate leaves needs to be removed. That trifoliate rootstock will soon take over and you will have no orange tree left. Saw off all those vigorous trifoliate branches that are growing near the ground (what appear in the photo to be lighter gray I believe). I think there's still time to save your tree. You should see a surge in growth of your orange tree next spring. You may want to wait to cut though until just before bloom. I don't know where you live and you don't want to force early growth and subject it to late hard frosts.

• citrange2
    8 years ago

Confirm these are all branches carrying only trifoliate leaves, then I suggest pruning as shown. Take great care not to damage the original orange trunk. Then always remove new shoots from this area as soon as they appear.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

You have a very good tree that is easily savable. Follow the picture above.

• PRO
    J Squared Home Designs
    8 years ago

Thank you for the great information!!