Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garret_87

How to Treat Citrus Disease?

garret_87
11 years ago

I am almost positive that my cirtus tree has a virus. The photos of trees affected with 'Citrus Chlorotic Dwarf Virus (CCDV)' look just like what my tree is dealing with.

Link to where I found pictures:
http://www.idtools.org/id/citrus/diseases/factsheet.php?name=Citrus%20chlorotic%20dwarf%20virus%20%28CCDV%29

How should I treat this problem? Is there a cure? I cannot find any information on how to fix it.

Comments (22)

• citrange2
    11 years ago

As you are in zone6, I assume this is a potted plant.
    Where did you obtain it and what variety is it?
    No reputably nursery should sell a diseased plant.
    However, if you read the full fact sheet at the site you mention, it clearly states this virus is spread by the bayberry whitefly (which is apparently only present in USA states California and Florida). It also says that the distribution of this virus is "Eastern Mediterranean region of Turkey". So it seems very unlikely to be present in your plant.
    In general, it is impossible to cure a citrus plant infected with a virus. There are laboratory techniques which may eliminate a virus during propagation, but this won't help the original tree.
    It is more likely your citrus is suffering from some pest or malnutrition. Can you post a photo?
    If you are really convinced it is a plant virus, you should destroy it and get a healthy specimen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Factsheet

• jean001a
    11 years ago

what citrange said!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Garret, as both Citrange and I have mentioned, it is highly unlikely this is what you're dealing with, but without photo of your tree, we are just making guesses. Please post up some photos before you decide to destroy what is most likely a perfectly healthy tree. It would be HIGHLY unlikely this is your issue.

Patty S.

• garret_87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a pic from my cell. The leaves are also somewhat pale and have tiny white speckles. In the last two months I re-potted and had a huge fungus gnat attack. I tried everything until I just let the soil dry out - since then they have not been back.

I also noticed today that there are lots of tiny tiny white mites crawling around on the soil. I will have to do more research into that tomorrow. Those really freaked me out - although not as much as the fungus gnats.

I can supply more pictures. I am really concerned for my tree.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

I would suspect you're dealing with an insect infestation, and not a virus, Garret. Aphids can cause this type of leaf curl. Spider mites can cause leaves to appear speckled or pale. I would first, spray off your tree well with water. Then, treat with Neem oil. You can also treat the fungus gnats with Gnatrol. It is very effective.

Patty S.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

There are also different insects that cause that dimpling. If you use the neem oil, be SURE to direct the application to the underside of the foliage where lots of these tiny pests live. That speckling absolutely is indicative of spider mites.

• garret_87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spring is here and many days have been above 50 degrees. The tree has been enjoying the fresh air outside and I have been spraying the tree down with water everyday. There are lots of new growth popping out, and I even found 2 flower buds starting to form.

Would it be harmful to the flowers to use a horticulture spray? I would use Neem Oil, but I already have a bottle of "All Seasons" horticulture spray oil. Would the spray be harmful to the new growth or coming flowers?

Luckily the tree made it through the hardest part of the year.

• Kirabo Mbabazi
    8 years ago

i also have a strange disease anyone who knows what it is.

• citrange2
    8 years ago

Citrus canker.

Where in the world are you?

There is a good guide to Florida canker control, but useful for elsewhere too

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cg040

• Kelley Harrison Siepker
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am also having a problem with my lemon tree. The first lemon tree died and we replaced it with this lemon tree and now it appears to be getting the same symptoms. There is a lemon tree from my neighbors tree that has this also. It touches our trees and I think that's how we are getting it... We live in Southern California. Any ideas how to treat it? Or what it is? Thanks!

8 years ago

This 2nd photo is the neighbors tree

• citrange2
    8 years ago

Citrus Leaf Miner. Lots of info on this site and many others. Don't blame the neighbor - it's now widespread throughout US citrus growing areas.

8 years ago

Thanks so much!

• Raymond Hung
    7 years ago

I been having some infestation with my lemon and orange trees. Does anyone recognize this? And what is the solution?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Raymond, you will likely get more answers if you ask your question on a new post. That said, 1st photo looks like leaf miner damage & on 2nd, I spy a Giant Swallowtail caterpillar - which is most likely NOT responsible for the leaf damage (in my experience they eat very little & the butterflies are gorgeous). The bleached, dried out areas on the leaves in photo 2 look similar to herbicide damage, or some other chemical maybe...?

• Raymond Hung
    7 years ago

Thanks. I will check into that

• Tony Perez
    3 years ago

Any thoughts on what these newer leaves growing all curled up? (Indian Sweet Like tree) Doesn't seem to be a insect or scale. Leaves are still green, but all curled up. Almost look like a rose.

• Tony Perez
    3 years ago

• kawaii panda
    last year

Hello, so I think my lemon tree is suffering from Citrus Chlorotic Dwarf Virus (CCDV) because it really looks like it has the exact symptoms but I'm not that experiencedexperienced so I was hoping if someone would help please

There are alot of these little new leaves .... how can I treat it

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

We need a macro picture of the small leaves only to see. It is most likely insect problems