Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaddow_wolf169

Help please

shaddow_wolf169
11 years ago

My girl and I bough a house 5 years ago. It has a lemon tree that is about 8 ft tall and a lime bush that is about 4 foot tall but wide. Both have full blooms and the lemon has tons of little fruits starting but 2 Huge ones. The lime had a couple of small one but now there gone. Why is the trees not growing. It has looked the same for a month. Tiny fruits the size of a 1/2 inch but thin.

Comments (5)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Well, we need a bit more info. First, the grass should be removed from under the trees, as it is competing for nutrients, and will take away from your citrus trees. Remove the grass all the way out to and a bit past the edge of the canopy, as that is the drip line for your trees, and where their feeder roots reside. You also don't mention how often you are watering. The trees should be on their own drip or micro-sprinklers, and not being sprinkled from lawn sprinklers. A nice deep watering to about 18-24" deep at least once a week if it is cool, more often as temps warm up. And, you should be fertilizing with a good citrus fertilizer at least 4 times a year. Right now, all that fertilizer will just be going to the grass, so get rid of the grass first, create a nice well just beyond the edge of the canopies, water well, fertilize, top with mulch to retain moisture, and water in the fertilizer.

Patty S.

• thisisme
    11 years ago

My first thought was HOLLY MOLLY!!! HIS YARD IS ALL SIDEWAYS. HIS TREES MUST NOT KNOW WHICH WAY IS UP!!!

But now that I've thought about it a little bit. I think you should pay close attention to hoosierquilt's good advice.

• shaddow_wolf169
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks I have cut away a nice round circle and have used the vigoro citrus and avocado mix kinda didn't agree with the directions so I just gave it a pinch more. It seems like that did the trick. I just bearly got the house back from the people renting it and the tree is feeling in nice now. And I cut all the branches off that were about a foot off the ground. Nice looking tree now

• shaddow_wolf169
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I water once a week for about 5 minutes all around the drip line and the trunk

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Shaddow, you'll want to water longer, and as the weather warms up, more often. Create a well so that the water pools out at the drip line and not by the trunk. No need to water the trunk area, as there are no feeder roots there, and continually getting the trunk wet can can fungal issues on the trunk, which actually can kill the tree. Water should be concentrated at the drip line (edge of canopy) and about a foot beyond. I would water deeply (18") once a week to up to 3 times a week during the heat of the summer, if it gets really hot where you are (you don't indicate in your "zone" section, where you are, USDA Zone or Sunset Zone, so hard to tell you more than that about watering.)

Patty S.