Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelzer

Young citrus tree leaves curling and dropping

joelzer
10 years ago

Hi! I purchased a young citrus tree (about 9 inches high) a few days ago and already the leaves are curling and dropping. I live in Canada and it's still very cold. I had the plant next to a window on a table so I'm wondering if it might have been too cold for it? I have moved it now but am worried it won't get enough sunlight. I live on the 9th floor of an apartment building so it will need to stay inside for now. The potting mix is moist but not saturated. I was hoping someone could give me some pointers to help bring it back as I'm new to owning plants. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

Is the soil medium dry or moist? They will fold their leaves if too dry, but leaf drop will also occur if the soil is too wet. The window should not have done it unless those temps were really frigid.

Assuming your window temps were no lower than 35-40 F., would not assume it was the window. Citrus are hardier than many people assume. Do you know what kind it is btw?

P.S., Just got my Citrus out for the season last weekend after a brutal winter here as well.

• joelzer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi. Thanks for the reply!

The soil I would say is dry moist. The temperature has been around 0 F here so the window would have been really cold.

It is a Calamondin tree.

The tag recommended it has around 50% sunlight but would you know if that means direct or I can have it sitting in my living room somewhere?

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Joelzer it looks like there is some kind of shock in play. Did you buy it from a greenhouse nursery , because coming from a humid greenhouse to a dry house could severely shock a citrus , I have had this happen . When you carried your tree to the car after buying was it protected from the cold outside ? Might also be transplant shock. Is the air really dry in your apartment?

Brian

• joelzer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Brian, That sounds like it makes a lot of sense. I bought it from Home Depot where it was indoors then carried it to my car and apartment in about 14 F unprotected. Our apartment is also very dry too. Do you have any suggestions on how I can help it as it's getting worse. Cheers!

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

Put it in the warmest, direct sun spot you can find. You may want to try misting it a couple times a day. Water when the top inch of soil is dry. Don't fertilize it until you're sure it's out of danger and pray for the best.

Look up the 5-1-1 container formula in the Container Forum if the plant makes it to summer, then you can repot if desired.

• joelzer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advise Oxboy555. Hopefully it comes good.....

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Joel zero you cannot believe how many people make the same sometimes fatal mistake of not wrapping their plants before taking them to their car. I have seen people carrying palms ficus trees etc to their cars in blinding snow storms with temperatures below 0 degrees f . It's kind of funny when you know you can't do that. Your tree doesn't look that bad . You are probably going to loose lots of leaves but I am sure it will make it. I don't know if I would put in direct sun for right now it may dry the leaves even more right now. I would put it in the strongest in direct light for now then after a few days moving it to direct sunshine. Misting lightly is also a good idea. I am sure spring will take care of your tree.

Brian

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Joelzer sorry about the spelling of your name darn phone always trying to correct spelling.

Brian

• joelzer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Brian. Not a prob about the name thing. I guess now I know better! I'm new to owning plants so live and learn I guess. The leaves are getting a little worse but not many have dropped off yet, just curling and drying up. I have put it near a window with a thin curtain so hopefully that's enough sunlight. Thanks for all your help! Joel

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Joelzer sometimes in May the home depot canada get a nice variety of lemon limes orange' s mandarins grapefruit trees you name it at a very reasonable price.

Brian

• joelzer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Brian that's good to know. If I lose this one then I'll wait until then to get a new one. Thanks! Joel