Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejperryman

citrus potting mix

ejperryman
13 years ago

Has anyone ever used Miracle Gro citrus/cactus potting mix? Is it any good? I am gonna put some citrus in pots and need a mix I can just go out and buy. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

I would check the price on this, as opposed to EB Stone's Cactus Potting Mix. Mainly because you're paying an awful lot for a fertilizer that really isn't optimal for your citrus. You would want to try to acheive a 5:1:3 mixture if at all possible. Kinda like buying cereals fortified with vitamins - cheaper to buy regular cereal and a multi-vitamin. Cheaper to buy potting mix without a fertilizer. And, there is a new product that a few folks have been discussing on this forum, but I can't remember the name of this new bagged potting soil. Hopefully someone will pipe up and mention the name. I remember the person mentioning that you might have to ask your nusery to stock it, since it was rather new.

Now, that being said, I've included a great link to the rationale behind creating your own potting soil provided by Al. And, MeyerMike has a really great thread (I've Clipped it, it was so good) on how to mix it up, including photos:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg021428189145.html

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Retention by Tapla

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi...Please listen to Patty!

She knows here stuff.

Hello Patty:-) Been thinking of you. I hope all is well and your weather is better. Keep up the good work and God bless you

Mike

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

The "new" product that Patty is probably talking about isn't new at all....been around and widely used for years. It's in the Fafard's commercial line of potting mixes, called Fafard Nursery Mix. There's also a Fafard commercial mix #3. You might have to special order it from your locally owned garden center/nursery. The primary ingredient for both of these products is bark. It's fabuloso!

These products are just fine without adding this, that, and the other. It provides superior porosity, rapid drainage, and all of the good qualities we should be looking for in a potting mix, but can't seem to find in one already made up.

Don't get the stuff that Fafard makes for the retail trade. It's not much better than MiracleGro. You have to ask for the commercial, professional mixes.

I've attached some Fafard information for you. If you click on the link, it will take you to the directory of all of their professional growing products. By all means, check them all out, but the two I've mentioned will be found in the Heavy Weight category.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clickee

• gleb
    13 years ago

I did try MG citrus/cactus soil for my seedlings... The worst decision I made! The soil stays soggy as opposed to what they promise. The pots with that mix being outdoor ended up developing algea on the surface...

Please, keep your citrus away from it! :(

• cebury
    13 years ago

If I recall correctly the only difference between standard MG potting soil is they add MORE peat and then add a handful more Perlite. This is there way of saying "holds more water with increased aeration". bologna... and not even oscar meyer brand.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

That MG is garbage, and the sad thing is that so many people are not well informed that they still think it's the best stuff on earth for all their plants, including citrus, until they croak, that is if they are not lucky.

I guess that company still has millions hooked, or they would be out of business. I can assure you that I am not one of them that buys it at every corner store that has the stuff.

Why they can't make a mix that is mostly bark based with a bit of peat will never be explained by that company.

Mike

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Thanks, Rhizo should have said "new to me". Wish I could find this product near me, but alas, have not been able to, so EB Stone's Cactus Mix is the next best thing short of mixing my own. Since I have very few things in pots (some succulents, 2 tree roses and a Plumeria) and no citrus, I haven't bothered to make my own potting mix.

And doing well here, Mike. Weather is warming up, everything is flushing, even my Bearss lime, Moro orange, and my Meiwa kumquats. Did find some rather disturbing gopher activity though, up on my slope, so going out tomorrow to set some gopher traps. They can take a tree out overnight, so I've got to get after that. They're very near the poor little Valencia that I rescued, so I don't want it to suffer another set back. Putting in my Red Smith Valencia tomorrow, along with 4 more poms. Plus a few roses. I'll have 7 pom varieties on the slope below my citrus. Oh! I also found 2 grapevines growing on my slope, so putting in posts to head train them. Hope they survive this year. Going to watch for signs of disease and see if I can figure out what did them in last year. It's turning into a real cornucopia in my backyard, lol!! Now, if I can just find JR Peter's "Jack's Professional 25-5-15 High Performance" fertilizerfor my citrus , I'll be set.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Gophers!! Oh my. They can be deadly..I hope you get those under control Patty.

Let me know if you find Jacks' Professional 25 5 15. It is great to hear your weather is better. I only wish mine would just warm up. I hate it when the flowers start to bloom, and you can't smell or enjoy them because it is either to wet or to cold. It is very aggravating. I hate living here at times. Seems like the cold weather favors sticking around here more than the warmth thanks to Canada and the cold North East wind right off the cold ocean!

Good to talk to you again. Take care for now.

Mike