Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer vs Improved-Meyer lemon

Posted by mg999 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 16:13

I live in San Jose, California. I just bought a (not-improved) Meyer lemon tree. The nursery had "Improved Meyer" too but, the fruit on the Meyer tree seemed rounder and with thin-skin.

Someone mentioned on this forum that "old Meyer" should not be sold in US. Which lemon should I plant? I can exchange it now. Thanks!

M.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer vs Improved-Meyer lemon

I don't believe the "not improved" form would be available for sale in California. The only difference is the presence or absence of citrus tristeza virus infection. It causes no symptoms at all in the 'Meyer', so the two look and act exactly alike. The problem is that the virus can spread from an infected tree to oranges, grapefruit, and other citrus nearby (spread by aphids) if you have an infected tree. I suspect your nursery bought their trees from two sources, one of which used the term "improved" while the other did not. It used to be, and I assume still is, illegal to sell the infected form in California.

o

Thanks for your response.

I bought the tree from a very well-known nursery (Garden Supply, Los Altos, CA). I am sure they will not sell anything illegal.

Also, I noticed some discrepancies in the information on the tag (attached to the tree) and the label (pasted on the pot). The tag reads "Meyer Lemon, 10-16 ft". The label reads "Improved Meyer Lemon, 16-20 ft". Since, I do not have a place for a big tree, I may exchange it with a dwarf tree. Is the fruit on the dwarf tree same (in size and taste) as the regular tree?

Thanks again.

M.

o

I live in Walnut Creek. I do have a container plant which restricts the size. However, the label from 4 Winds was True Dwarf Citrus (Improved Meyer Lemon) - 6-10 ft at maturity.
I am not an expert with citrus, but have found the lemon size will vary with the age and care of the individual plants.
Even with the container restriction, I have not noticed a hugh size difference between our very brief selection for store bought Meyer lemons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here