Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do i go about producing dwarf citrus in MN?

Posted by rcgeek1 Minnesota 4A (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 16:19

I was planning to purchase multiple dwarf citrus trees from Four Seasons growers as well as Burgess. I am planning to keep them outside when it is 70+ degrees fahrenhight (Acclimating by them being in the garage for 2 days, then in shade outside for 5 days, slowly moving it into direct sunlight) and then bring it in, following the reverse of this and at the end of the week it will end up in my basement under grow lights. I will water them every 5 days or as needed, and keep the lights on for 12 hrs a day and off vice-versa. I am planning on using a mixture of peat moss and standard potting mix,and 12 inch terra-cotta pots with drainage holes. I am hoping for a lemon, a lime and a grapefruit (all 2-3 years) from Four Winds, and a Tangerine from Burgess.

Can anyone see any weak spots in my plan? Do you guys know of or recommend any grow light brand and/or type and/or setup?
My basement is very dry in the winter, and i have heard that this can be an issue. It is a relatively large, open area with limited ventillation. Will I need a room humidifier?

Thanks for your help.
Future citrus grower,
rcgeek1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do i go about producing dwarf citrus in MN?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 18:11

adding peat moss to standard potting soil is a bad idea. Most potting soils are mostly peat anyways, so adding more peat will only make it hold more water. If you prefer to use standard soils you should add something like perlite which will aid in drainage. I keep my citrus out when its above high 40's and they do just fine. Waiting till 70's is too long in my opinion.

mike

o

I don't think Four Seasons and Burgess are very reputable nursaries . You are much better off getting all citrus trees from Four Winds or check your local home improvement stores.

o

Olympia, home improvement stores do not carry these, i guarantee. I will be getting most from Four Seasons but burgess is much less costly.

o

I got my Meyer lemon, clementine, kumquats from Home Depot and Lowe's in Chicago area. I saw they also have lime and other citrus tree as well. All potted, dwarf, Flowering size, reasonable cost. In later fall, you can also see some friuts hanging on the trees too.

You might want to check with the store manager to see when the plants will be in the store. I remember seeing them in the summer time when the weather is definitely warm.

o

I will check; they have already been purchased from Edible Landscaping and Burgess, but i will check through June/July for trees; i would purchase them in a heartbeat.

o

I agree one hundred percent that you need to change your potting mix recipe. Instead of adding yet more peat moss to a peat based medium, try adding perlite or bark fines, instead. You want to aim for something coarse textured, not so mucky (peaty).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here