Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vp_78

Wondering if this branch is a water sprout/sucker

vp_78
10 years ago

I was just reading about graft lines and water sprouts, and am wondering if this nice thick branch loaded with leaves and baby mandarins is actually a water sprout. The rest of the tree has been struggling but seems to be sort of calming down a bit. There are two lines in this pic, one is above my thumb (and the branch in question), and one is below my pinky.

Thanks!

{{gwi:581241}}

Comments (15)

• ReptileAddiction
    10 years ago

If it has mandarins on it then it is not a sucker. Water sprouts are just branches that grow straight up but in my opinion are not a problem because most of the time as soon as the branch bears fruit the weight pulls the branch back down.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    10 years ago

Looks to me like the line above your pinky is just a bud scar I think from the branch above it. The line under you thumb is the graft line most likely. See the difference in color of the bark above and below it? that's a good clue that is the graft line. So, imo, the branch you're worried about is part of the upper plant, the mandarin.

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

the graft line looks lower, the darker brown part.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Your graft line is below your thumb. The branch most likely is a water sprout. Not to worry, water sprouts are just rapid growth. It will settle down. I think you're more concerned about whether this is a branch emanating from below the graft line, coming from the rootstock. You'll know for sure if it is growing from below the graft based on the fruit borne from the branch. If you provide us a photo of the branch, we can tell you, as most likely your tree is grafted to some sort of trifoliate rootstock, and the leaves will be a dead giveaway.

Patty S.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will post a pic of the branch tomorrow morning! Thanks everyone!

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK so here are a few pics of the branch in question. One of the branch, one of the whole tree, and a closeup of the leaves. I'm thinking it is a water sprout which is a bummer bc it has the most fruit on it! The whole tree still seems kinda sad. I'm monitoring the soil moisture, and I fertilized about 3 weeks ago...

{{gwi:579922}}

{{gwi:579921}}

{{gwi:581242}}

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The graft is circled in white, therefore it is not a root-stock waterspout. you are safe. That is either a ripple mark from faster growth shoot or it could be the second grafted variety of a dual variety citrus tree.

• citrange2
    10 years ago

I think the graft on your tree is lower down still - it is where the trunk thickens considerably. The dark colour near your hand is where something has been tied around the tree.
    I see no sign in your photos of any water sprout, but I also think you have the wrong idea about them. Unless they are causing problems such as a lop-sided tree, you can leave them alone. As you say that yours is bearing fruit, there is no need to do anything.
    The tree generally looks as if it lacks nitrogen. One dose of fertliser may not instantly cure this. What fertliser did you use, and how much, and how often in the past?

• citrange2
    10 years ago

Poncirusguy posted while I was writing mine!
    Yes, he has shown the graft exactly where I tried to describe.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used EB Stone Citrus and Fruit Tree food. Because it has been in the ground for exactly one year I only used one cup of fertilizer around the drip line. But as I'm writing this, I'm thinking that although it has only been in the ground a year, it's probably a 3 year old tree??? It's about 4.5 - 5 feet tall.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW I'm in Southern Cal. And I forgot to say thank you for your responses! :)

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    10 years ago

What method do you use to water? Hand water, if it's automatic, bubbler head, sprayer, or drip irrigation?

The reason I ask is because that type of fertilizer needs to be watered in to work well, and every time you water until it's used up, usually in about 4-8 weeks.(you'll need to check the label as to when to reapply. I don't remember.)

So unless the whole area you spread the fertilizer is watered each time you irrigate, it won't be as effective. If it's on a dry area it won't dissolve.
    Don't get me wrong, it's great citrus food, you just have to be sure it's getting applied correctly.

When my trees feeding gets away from me and they get a little yellow, I use a liquid food for a couple times, to quickly green them, especially in the cooler temps of winter/spring. The dry organic ferts like EB Stone Citrus food, work best in the warm soils of summer/fall.

I agree with the others too, it's not a root-stock sucker, and the "water sprout" look will go away after a season or two, and it will looks like all the other branches. If it's giving you fruit, I also would leave it alone.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm. Right now I'm hand watering since we had an irrigation blow out which is still on the "to-do" list to be fixed. And I'm only watering maybe once a week, based on the reading of my water meter. Should I apply a liquid seaweed extract at my next feeding? Or chelated minerals?

Glad to hear that branch is ok, btw!!!

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Chelated iron is necessary in soils with pH over 7.5; check the label of your EB Stone, to see if it already includes chelated iron; but it mostly looks like your tree is seriously underfed.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I checked the pH earlier, and it's pegged on 8... Ugh this poor tree getting saddled with a rookie...