Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prevent Lime to Branching

Posted by ocb2020 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 16:33

I have a lime at the backyard, I don't like the lime tree to branch out at the lower part of the tree due to the thorns may hurt my kids. Is there any good way to prevent this? I cut the branches but it will grow back in no time. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prevent Lime to Branching

If you have a young tree, such branching out will probably continue on occasion during growing phases until a good canopy of leaves and branches form above the lower trunk.

If the new growth is coming from very low down, check to see if it is coming from above, at, or below a graft union. Sometimes a poor graft will result in a lot of unwanted sucker growth. Any new shoots near the graft union should be pruned away. If a bad graft union (it should be quite obvious, if it is bad) is responsible for the new shoots, you might want to replace the tree.

Assuming the growth is just appearing on the lower trunk or lower branches, the only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you cut the branches off quite close to the trunk or larger limbs. Stubs of cut branches can have buds on them that in turn will grow into new branches.

You don't want to paint the cuts or wrap anything around the trunk or branches: those kinds of steps will only create more problems.

Finally, since the new growth will not actually harden up into nasty thorny branches in "no time," you might consider making an inspection of the tree part of a monthly or bimonthly routine that even your children could be part of. They might look for lost toys or find and count new flowers, and you might look for possible hazards. A friend of mine when I lived in Florida used to do this to find and eliminate fire ant nests before her toddler found them for her. His job was to count the nests, and hers was to sprinkle the anticide on them!

o
RE: Prevent Lime to Branching

I bought the house a year ago and my estimation is the tree is at least 5 years old, approximately 12-14'. Thanks for the advise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here