Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct Ph for Meyer Lemon Tree

Posted by kev843 z8 SC (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 17:19

Hi everyone I tried to search this and all I could find is that they need slightly acidic soil.
Well I was wondering if anyone new an acceptable range to go by?
Does anyone use sulfur for soil in containers like people do with Blueberries?
Do you adjust the Ph of your water before watering?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct Ph for Meyer Lemon Tree

Citrus are pretty broadly tolerant of pH and soil chemistry in general. I would not worry about it so long as I were using a general purpose potting soil. It would probably be fine even with a special acid soil mix such as for azaleas but why would one bother. Rough lemon rootstock, though, may not like alkaline conditions (it doesn't like limestone soils) but few potting soils would be very alkaline.

o

Thanx gonebananas for the info,guess that explains why I couldnt find any specifics on Ph for them ;-)

o

If it's on its own roots or grafted to a true genus Citrus rootstock, 6.0-6.5 would be ideal, and 5.5-7.0 probably acceptable. If on Poncirus (e.g., 'Flying Dragon') or one of its hybrids (e.g., "Swingle"), 5.5-6.0 would be ideal and 5.0 to 6.5 acceptable. If you go much above those ranges, you'll start to see deficiency symptoms of iron, mamganeze, and zinc, and in that case, you'll need to acidify it a bit. If the pH goes too low, the plant will look very healthy, but won't grow or produce much.

o

Hi malcolm manners
Well since you gave me some numbers to go by i used my Ph meter to get a reading.
Im not happy...My tree is still in the 3 gallon pot I bought it in and it gave me a reading of 4.5 Ph.
You would think the people who grew them out would at least have the soil at the right Ph.
Its not like I need any help screwing my tree up LOL
It would have been nice to at least get a good start.
I have had it now for about 2 weeks and it hasnt really put on any new growth at all,guess I now know why.

Do you think when I repot into a 5 gallon it will balance its self out?
Do you have any suggestions to get it back on track?

o

There is a belief among many hobbyist citrus growers, and even some nurseries, that citrus like a strongly acidic soil, such as your 4.5 or even lower, but it's not true. Yes, I'd try to raise that a bit. Maybe a couple tablespoons of dolomitic or calcic limestone, worked into the top inch of soil, or if you are repotting into a 5-gallon pot, use twice that much, again, working it into the soil. It won't have much effect if you just put it on the surface.

o

I recently purchased a property with an amazing, productive Meyer Lemon Tree. The tree has been neglected for years and, although I typically wouldn't fix what's not broken, I feel I should fertilize it to remedy the neglect. I picked up some organic fermented grape skins and was wondering if someone could tell me if a light layer (less than 1") over the ground within the drip line of the tree, keeping clear of the trunk, could help or hinder the tree? Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here