Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nagami Kumquat not doing much of anything

Posted by catbox_9 CA Zone 8B (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 17:31

More than two years ago I purchased a Nagami kumquat plant. Since then the plant has been mostly terrible. Almost right after I bought it, the plant lost all its leaves and appeared dead until the leaves all came back. Shortly after that the plant got to its present state where it appears rather sickly and is missing quite a few leaves. Sometimes a new leaf will grow and it did start to flower last year although I don't think the flowers ever really bloomed properly.

This plant is from Monrovia. I own quite a few other citrus trees and they have all done outstanding although they are all by Four Winds Growers. I treat this one the same as all the others so I'm not sure why it does so terrible. The only difference is that this is planted in the ground (and has been since day one) while the rest remain in containers. I don't live in an optimal citrus area in Paso Robles, CA but kumquats are rather cold-hardy and there are people nearby that have full-sized lemon and orange trees in their yards that seem to do fine so citrus can grow here.

Any advice?

Image hosted by servimg.com

Image hosted by servimg.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nagami Kumquat not doing much of anything

The tree looks to be drastically undernourished

o

I've been giving it citrus fertilizer once a month the same way I do my other citrus trees. Perhaps it needs something else?

o

Hmm. I just responded to another poster who has a citrus that also is failing to thrive. He posted that quite a lot of pine mulch, complete with wood chips, was mixed into the soil. I suggested that might be causing a nitrogen deficiency.

Anyway, I can see in your pictures that the tree is heavily mulched with wood chips. Normally, if wood chips are on top of the ground they should not cause a problem . . . but I can see an awful lot of them in those pictures, and your tree is quite petite!

Another possibility is that in applying the mulch you have smothered the tree's feeder roots. Someone with more familiarity with the cultural practices in your area should be able to help, but I would say that for such a small tree the mulch is probably not helping. In fact, it is probably hurting.

For that matter, your problem may well be a combination of both possibilities! Think of it this way: a mulch ring three feet wide and two or three inches deep is usually fine for a tree that is ten feet tall and about the same diameter, but you have a tree that is about a foot high and wide and a mulch diameter of what looks like at least two feet. Thus, for its size, your tree has a shallower and smaller network of surface feeder roots than the larger tree, but is located in a mulched area that is, relatively speaking, the equivalent of a thirty or forty foot wide mulch zone around the larger tree, with probably a similarly wacky depth to that mulch!

All of which is to say, I'd remove the mulch!

o

Thanks for the mulch tip. Unfortunately I doubt that is the problem as I just added the mulch within the last week or so to try to keep weeds from growing in the area. I'll remove the mulch and try to keep the area weeded and see if that helps.

o

It appears as though your tree is planted entirely too low. When you planted it, did you amend the soil?

o

Another thought (since the mulch idea was wrong!): you may want to cut back on the fertilizer. If the tree is not actively growing or flowering/fruiting, it is not likely to need a monthly dose of fertilizer.

o

It may be planted too low. It's planted at about the same level as it was in the pot when purchased but may have settled or been too low to begin with.

When planting this plant I used the soil in the pot and native soil - nothing else. The native soil is at least half decent as other stuff planted nearby seems to be doing fine.

I'll try cutting back on fertilizer and see if that does anything.

o

It does look like your tree is either planted too deeply and/or the mulch is piled too high next to the trunk. If you dig it up to raise it in the planting hole you'll also get a better look at the roots to see what they are doing. You might also try a foliar feed just to green up the leaves and strengthen it a bit until you solve the basic problem. I would use Miracid.

o

That last tip sounds good. I'll try to get around to that in the next few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here