Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange tree cuttings

Posted by jplee3 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 17:41

Hey all,

So I've read around and seen that cuttings can be used to propagate orange trees. I'm up here in NorCal right now and my parents have a 20+ year old orange tree in their back yard. Not sure what the variety is but the fruit is pretty good (especially right now).

We flew up here so I was wondering if it's viable to take a few cuttings the night or morning before we fly back, put them in ziploc bags with a moist paper towel, and plant them in some pots when we get back to Southern California. Obviously, it would be best to get them transplanted right away, but I was curious to know if there's some leeway between the time they are cut and the time they are planted.

Also, from what I understand the cuttings I take off should not be too soft or early but they shouldn't be all woody. I'm guessing they should be a darker hardened green? And are those rooting hormones really necessary? I'm assuming those just help and increase the chances that roots will grow out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange tree cuttings

I'm not sure if your method would work or not, but you should check to make sure the county or area you live in and where the tree is located is not under quarantine. It could be a risky move to transport citrus even within the state of California to prevent the spread of diseases. I'm not 100% sure on all the legality behind this. Hopefully someone from CA can give more details!

Kristopher

o
RE: Orange tree cuttings

Ask your questions of the County Agricultural Commission of either county.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here