Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice regarding repotting...

Posted by scuzzynutty (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 17:42

Hi, I have a dwarf Nagami kumquat tree in a pot, and it has a pretty thick trunk, although there's probably 200 flower buds, it probably has only produced about 20-30 fruit in the end, and not very large. My friend has a smaller tree in a pot and hers produced over 100! I noticed the tree isn't getting any bigger. I'm thinking of repotting into a bigger pot. Any advice?

Also for the soil, I got the Kellogg Palm and Cactus Mix. Can i mix that with just regular potting soil or should i just used the Cactus mix solely. Thanks....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice regarding repotting...

You should root prune and repot every 4 years. Either soil mix idea will work. If you do decide to mix 2 mixes together make sure you thoroughly mix both as any layers will stop water until the upper layer is completely saturated before water can pass through the lower layer.

If it is root bound (likely) you should remove all circular roots, dead roots and broken roots (to above the break) before repotting. Be as gentle as possible in extracting, manipulating and repotting to break as few of the micro-roots as possible to minimize "transplant" shock. A garbage can and an adjustable stream hose attachment can clean the old container soil off to inspect the roots. Cut roots to half the diameter of the pot and above a bud at a perpendicular (90 degree) angle to minimize surface area of the cut. Repot immediately (don't let roots dry out) in new soil and if desired a bigger pot (larger is better for citrus and rootstock dependent as to how frequently to repot 3 or 4 years).

I do not like the idea of pulling a rootball out of a container and then putting it into a larger container with more soil UNLESS the new container soil is identical to the old container soil. Too often water will pass through the old soil without wetting the new. Also old soil may be high in salts from the evaporated waterings over the years even with periodic flushes.

Here is a link that might be useful: citrus in containers

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 17:49

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here