Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Hi I have a question

Suzy11
10 years ago

Hi guys. Just a question. Can dead roots.revive? Even from salt damage?

Comments (23)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Depends on how badly the root system is damaged, Suzy. Is this a container citrus, or in ground? How does the tree look overall? Can you post some photos?

Patty S.

• eahamel
    10 years ago

Dead doesn't revive, sorry. But if there are undamaged roots, cut the dead parts off and new roots may grow. Need more info, really, though.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Once dead, they are gone.

Mike

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty I don't have the tree back yet so I can't send a photo but From what I remember the trunk is fine And most of the leaves were pruned. A strach test showed some life. Does that mean the roots are dead? A container Meyer.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am thinking that coffee grains caused the problem. I used a little

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Coffee grounds are near perfect for citrus...it is not that

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Well, in a sense John, if in the ground.

Actually coffee grounds can tie fill in the open spaces in ones open and airy mix that can actually clog it within a rapid amount of time and suffocate the finer roots which she has lost.

I would not add anything to my mixes that can encourage my mixes to clog and become compacted which grinds can do in pots.
    Great for the garden beds though and worms adore them:-)

Mike

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there any way to save the tree Mike?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It has. Been transplanted and fertilized with wet and dry fertizer

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will the part that is alive die too?

• mandarin1
    10 years ago

Suzy, are your coffee grains on the surface like a mulch, or are they mixed into the soil?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Suzy, you're just going to have to wait it out and see :-) Keep it watered well (not too much, but enough to keep the soil moist). Be patient and hope for the best.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The coffee grains were put on before the tree was transplanted so I was hoping that once the tree was transplanted it would be Ok. they got to the roots before the tree was transplanted.

• mandarin1
    10 years ago

Don't assume it was the coffee grinds, we just don't have enough information to know for sure what happened. Do as Patty S. suggested and wait and see. But if all the roots are dead, unfortunately it won't come back. Fingers are crossed ....

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There were many problems. Two baby lemons froz and fell off. One was white, one was brown and turned black. Also I did not get it repotted when I got it. I had an uneven watering problem. Then the coffee grains.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is some life in it

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Mike,

Thanks for enlightening me about the coffee grounds. As most here know, I am a one-trick pony; i.e., I really only know much about Meyers and inground. I regularly add coffee grounds to my inground garden trees; but, by chance alone, I have never added it to any of my 8 or 10 container citrus. Now I will be smarter about that.
    John

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey John, no problem:-)

Suzy, how's the tree now?

Yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too.
    Yes, coffee grinds can kill just about about any plant in a pot, depending on how much you used and how it has affected the mix.

Your tree is savable and will take time will heal.

You said you transplanted it into a better mix, and that will help.

If you don't mind me asking? Where is this tree and how come you don't have it back?

Mike:-)

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 18:40

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi mike thank you for the great help and crossed fingers. :) my tree is still at the nersury where it was repotted recoperating.and it is also being fertized it is also there for the light. It has been cold here over the winter but the weather is warmer now so I am bringing it home soon. The tree has no new spouts, it was pruned a lot, the dead leaves were cut off. Trunk is fine.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is mirical grow citrus soil ok?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Big NOOOOO on the MG citrus soil; in fact I am a non fan of anything MG; there is sooo much better advice on this site about container mixes, fertilizers, etc. MG is for people who don't want to think.....IMHO

• cayden
    10 years ago

I'm with John on this one, MG has caused me nothing but trouble. I don't really like any of their products.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any other ideas other then soil?