Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soulfire_gw

Tangelo Potted

Soulfire
10 years ago

I almost didn't want to post this, because it is kind of embarrassing. However, I figured I have nothing to lose and if I can through some miracle get this tree to survive then it'll be worth it. So that being said:

I bought a 3-year old Tangelo from Four Winds back in April of 2013. It was perfectly fine throughout the summer and I put it downstairs in my basement around November to overwinter. I use a 600 Watt turned down to 475 growlight. A few weeks ago, some of the leaves fell off and I noticed gnats flying around. I took it outside and sprayed it with an oil spray. The gnats aren't completely gone, but there are far fewer than before. A lot of leaves have fallen off and I sprayed it again last week. To my horror, the simple act of lightly brushing against the tree sent a shower of leaves down. To make matter worse, I last watered the tree 2 weeks ago and the soil is still soggy. I honestly have no clue what is wrong with it and it seems almost dead. Any chance of resurrection for the poor guy?

Comments (7)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The biggest problem your having is 'NJ' That means that your tree is inside for a half a year due to cold weather. There are no predatory insects, and spraying is difficult at best. Any problems I have wont develop until my plants spend 3 month inside. That's characteristic zone 8b. I think your tree will make it but some one else will have to help you on your specific issue. Don't under estimate the problems of growing citrus trees north of zone 10. There have been a lot of people that have lost there trees this year.

Those of us up north that are successful devote there
    lives to doing citrus. We live as one with our trees and can instinctively feel there needs and cries for help. Growing citrus trees is very hard up north. Unlike fig trees they dont go dormant and fall pray to insects.

Good luck with your tree

Steve

• krismast
    10 years ago

Soulfire, please rest assured that this can be fixed. I have two citrus trees that have done fantastically after being indoors for 5+ months. And I certainly don't devote my life to them. The biggest thing is natural light. I used to grow with grow lights but I soon found out it was a waste of time and money. The brightest window in your house is usually sufficient. The grow lights seemed to attract lots of insects and dry out the foliage. My citrus prefer a cool sunlit room.

My Meyer lemon looked just like your tree a year ago. Now it's a healthy tree with many lemons growing. If your soil is staying moist for too long that's most likely your problem. The sooner you can get it outside the better. The sunlight will do wonders. If the soil is too wet you need to get it repotted ASAP into a fast draining mix.

Kris

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

All my citrus trees have put on 70% of there growth indoors under grow lights. I agree with Kris that growing under lights has its issues. My problem started when I missed a scheduled soaking 3 months in and my biggest 3 trees dried out. They took 2 month to recuperate, but I started my micro greens indoor and brought in spider mites. I very carefully kept up on my citrus tree insect protection and they had virtually no insect damage. My point is that if your trees are in for a long time, at some point something may go wrong and you still have month before they can go out in prime outdoor conditions. Every month is progressively harder .

All my trees are seed grow. My goal is to get a 6 to 8 foot well branch tree in 2 years. I try to duplicate a near tropical climate with an 80+ degree environment with 16 hours of sunshine.

Hear is what this environment can produce.
    {{gwi:565612}}
    Seed grown sweetlee tangerine trees at 14 month old.

Citrus trees take a lot of work and are fincky.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5961857381151877457?banner=pwa

• citrange2
    10 years ago

Soulfire: What temperature is your basement?

• Soulfire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mid-60's for the most part. Very occasionally it can get down into the 50's on a really cold night (think single digits outside). I have a thermometer right by my trees, so I can answer that question with confidence.

• citrange2
    10 years ago

Just wondered because if root temperatures get below around 55F, then providing high light levels often causes problems with winter leaf drop.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Your soil mix is suffocating the roots to your tree and there for the drastic leaf drop and next will be twigs...By the end of winter when a tree is that weak then comes pests..

Is there any way you could wick that soil until and place it in full warm sun?

Also, you could place pot in pot with bark mulch to draw the moisture out until it's time to repot when your tree is strong again..

Mike

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022