Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oroblanco vs Cocktail Grapefuit?

Posted by peebee1 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 18:13

Hi, can anyone tell me the difference in taste between an oro blanco and cocktail grapefruit? I have only eaten oro blancos but heard about the cocktails, which are also pummelo hybrids. I am thinking of buying either, I think either will do well in my zone CA 24, about 5 miles inland from the coast. No freeze in the winter.
Thanks,

Suzie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oroblanco vs Cocktail Grapefuit?

They both will do very well in your area - I am 6 miles from the ocean, and either 23 or 24 (rate myself as 23 since I have a cold spot on my property). I have them both. In fact, these are better selections for our climate than regular grapefruit, which require more heat for a prolonged period than our climates can provide. Melogold is also a great choice, it is from the a cross between a pummelo and a Marsh grapefruit, very similar and possibly the identical cross as the Oro Blanco, and I like it better. It is juicier and sweeter to me. And thinner skinned. Cocktail is indeed a cross between a sweet pummelo and a mandarin (Frua), so it is VERY sweet, with a hint of mandarin. They are all worth growing in my opinion, and I have all 3 in my garden, you cannot go wrong if you love the flavor of grapefruit, but need to sprinkle a little sugar on your grapefruit. With these three, absolutely no need! Yummm!!! I bought mine from Clausen's Nursery in Vista. They are mainly citrus growers, and have excellent prices and excellent stock.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clausen's Nursery

o

Thanks for the info Patty. I will go to the farmers market this weekend to see if anyone has the melogold and cocktail as I have never tried either. If the melogold is thinner-skinned, I'd like that. Then I can decide which tree to buy.

Suzie

o

Of the three, the Oro Blanco is the thickest skinned. Then the Melogold, and lastly the Cocktail. The Cocktail is also a smaller fruit, but then probably in comparison with regard to pulp, it is probably about the same amount of pulp as the Melogold. All worth growing, and if you have the room, try all 3. If not, definitely try a Melogold and a Cocktail, as they taste quite different. You can keep a semi-dwarf pruned down so they don't get too big, and it will also keep your crop down, too. I'd rather have fewer numbers of fruit on each tree, but lots of variety, than one BIG tree with more fruit than I know what to do with :-)

Patty S.

o
RE: Oroblanco vs Cocktail vs Melogold Grapefuit?

Of the three, the Oro Blanco is the thickest skinned. Then the Melogold, and lastly the Cocktail. The Cocktail is also a smaller fruit, but then probably in comparison with regard to pulp, it is probably about the same amount of pulp as the Melogold. All worth growing, and if you have the room, try all 3. If not, definitely try a Melogold and a Cocktail, as they taste quite different. You can keep a semi-dwarf pruned down so they don't get too big, and it will also keep your crop down, too. I'd rather have fewer numbers of fruit on each tree, but lots of variety, than one BIG tree with more fruit than I know what to do with :-)

Patty S.

o

Hoosierquilt --
I was thinking of going down to Clausen's one of these days. How is their selection and quality compared to Four Winds (those you can find at OSH).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here