Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregbradley

How to identify my Citrus

gregbradley
10 years ago

My 42 year old old house has a back-back yard that was a Citrus grove before that. There is the normal sized back yard with 2-3 rows of Citrus behind. I assume the grove was active up to that point as Ontario/Upland was a major citrus producer. It seems previous owners may have replaced some of the trees with different Citrus but I'm trying to identify each tree.

What looks like Washington Navels are the larger trees with trunks about 10-12" diameter. Several trees look like they may be Tangelos but seem to be spaced exactly the same as the Navels. The lot behind me has the same trees that look like the Tangelos on the same spacing. There are several lemons and one grapefruit that seem to be on the same spacing. Also one Avocado on the same spacing that is the largest of all at 35' tall.

How do I go about identifying the trees? There are some missing spots where I would like to plant other Citrus trees so that I have more variety. I have spent a few years getting rid of the ivy that was growing into most of the trees along with some grass that some old owners added among the Citrus, not understanding that they don't mix well. The next door neighbor's trees have all faded away from trying to turn a citrus grove into a big grassy area with citrus trees in it. I would like to keep up the citrus history of this area. This is the first season that the 3 Navels and 1 Tangelo produced a good crop and the fruit is incredible.

Comments (4)