Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime tree loss of leaves

Posted by diz131 ca (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 18:41

Hi all, we recently purchased a small seedless lime tree and tangerine tree from a local nursery about a month Ago. I planted them both in ideal sunlight and used chicken manure as fertilizer on top. Just recently the lime tree has been losing a lot of leaves but it looks like new buds are starting to grow in place, I water them about once a week and I noticed the lime tree lose more leaves after last watering. I don't notice the leaves turning yellow or being eaten by any bugs, just trying to figure out what is causing the drop in leaves, I'm located in SoCal so the climate is ideal but it has been very windy recently. By looking at the pictures you can see the tangerine tree is better off but I water them both the same

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime tree loss of leaves

If the root stock is poncirus trifoliata, the chicken manure can be harmfull. If it is on a poncirus hybrid it still might be harmful. Check out what the rootstock is. If its P.T. don't use any animal products including urine in that list

o

Are you watering sufficiently to ensure that the root ball is getting plenty of water? Is the root ball sitting in hole that's too deep? I wonder if your trees need those stakes in order to hold them up....or can you remove or loosen them. Some sway is essential in building up a sturdy trunk.

o

Unfortunately I'm not sure what the root stock is, the tangerine tree I planted right by it the same way is doing just fine so that's why I'm a little confused, at least it looks like all the leaves are starting to regrow where they fell.

o

I downloaded the picture and magnified it 5X times. It appears that I can see the surface of the root ball, That is good. As far as root stock is concerned, that is probably not the problem. Any kind of movement shock can tend to cause the tree to lose leaves later. The tree may have received its shock while still at the nursery. See w=hat others have to say. the fact that it is putting out new growth is very good

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here