Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
majandra_gw

Why is my lemon tree not growing any branches?

Majandra
12 years ago

I have two lemon trees on my balcony, about 1,5 year old that grew out of seeds (found sprouting seeds inside of a very large lemon from someones lemon tree). It was fun to watch them grow but I realized that they are not growing any lateral branches. One tree is about 4 feet tall and the other one is very small for some reason. What should I do to have them start growing side branches and hopefully bloom someday??I am new to gardening and only planted these lemon seeds because they were sprouting and I thought it would be fun to have lemon trees and see if they would actually grow out of those seeds. Now I am much more involved and would like to take a better care of them.

Thank you for all responses and advices:)

Here is a picture of my young lemon trees. Maybe it will help:

{{gwi:4333}}

Comments (121)

• wendygair4
    7 years ago

Thanks for your reply i though myself the citrus soil was very rich and thick but thought that's what citrus like. It has been out side all summer I have just moved it the house as the nights are getting colder. If I repot in winter will my meyer keep its fruit or will it just fall off.

• wendygair4
    7 years ago

this was the lemon I got last year' and it was so sweet as u can see it grew new leafs no branches.i have also chopped that branch that at the top just looked so out of place it lost all of its leafs on it any way.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

That's crazy! That lemon look almost as big as the plant itself..Wow..

It's hard to tell if fruit will hang on,,Very tree is different and every person that re pots does it differently...I will say that about Father's Day is optimal to re pot, but then you can any time of the year if you are very careful not to disturb the roots....

• wendygair4
    7 years ago

Yes I no I had to support the tree as it was quite heavy also had to put a rock on 1 side of the pot or it would fall over.thanks for all the information very helpful.

• Lawrence Tan
    7 years ago

been growing the meyer lemon dwarf tree for the last 7 month. it fruiting and all the flower buds are out, but i am worried there not enough leaves. what should i do? i fertiliser it with chicken pellet that been fermented over 2 weeks in water and i water it.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You need to get them out of that mud. People on this forum use either the
    gritty or 5-1-1 potting mix. The ingredients for 5-1-1 are easier to find.

When repotting into a different kind of
    soil mix, remove the old soil mix by dunking the root ball in and out of water.
    You may have to use a garden hose to gently force the old soil off.

This is what
    I use:

My version of Al Tapla's 5-1-1 Mix

parts pine bark mulch (remove ½” pieces through 1/2 inch screen)

(Some people use Repti Bark instead of
    mulch. This does not require screening but may require more frequent watering.)

part sphagnum peat

part perlite (coarse, if you can get it)

· 1 Tb garden
    lime /gal 5-1-1 mix (measure the 5-1-1 mix)

· Osmocote
    plus (follow manufacturer’s instructions). This is optional.

·
    Moisten well and wait at least 2 days before using

PLEASE NOTE: Other people with many
    years experience growing citrus in containers do not use the above soil mixes.
    For example, Millet (TropicalFruitForum.com) uses 9
    parts Miracle Grow Garden Soil (NOT Miracle Grow Potting Soil) to 1 part perlite. The general consensus on
    this forum is that you are more likely to avoid root rot using the gritty or
    5-1-1 mix.

Most on this forum use Foliage Pro 9-3-6 (FP) which is a fertilizer that
    contains all of the nutrients that citrus trees require. Each
    time you have to water, add 1 Tsp. of FP /gal of water and use that instead of
    pure water. Get a cheap pH testing kit - the kind
    used to test the pH of swimming pool or aquarium water. If your tap water is
    above pH 6.5, add enough vinegar to adjust it to about pH 6.5. You will only
    have to add give or take 1 Tb/gal. So, you will be watering with a mix of
    vinegar and Foliage Pro every time the tree needs water.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

The tree in the garden should stay in a container till a foot or 2 tall. It is to small to be direct planted outside. My in ground trees.,

near time of planting seed grown Fukushu.#1

near time of planting. Seed grown fukushu#2

Meiwa on Kuharske Citrange

6b Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

I have transplanted my small seedlings 3 to 4 times in a year. At that size it is unlikely to have any problems. Just put it in a shaded area for 2-3 days. If you wish to give it good protection from critters an weed overgrowth. You can leave it in the ground. Just make sure mice, rabbits, ground hogs, and etc can't clip it to the ground. That is the real danger to your tree.

6b Steve

• gakielly
    6 years ago

Hello!

I have three indoor lemon trees that I have grown from seed that are around a meter tall. They are about three years old and no pruning or pinching has been done yet. I plan to keep them indoors (outdoors in the summer) and I am curious as to when to start manipulating height and shape.

Should I be pinching back the central stem at some point/height? What should I do with the branches? Should I Be promoting bushier growth now? Or let the trees keep doing their thing for awhile longer? Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

alex

• abuhhuk
    6 years ago

i need help.

i have this lemon tree, i planted from seeds about 4 years ago.
    it sprouted and looked like it was going to take off, then all the leaves fell off.
    the stem still looked good strong and healthy, but i noticed the other day it is starting to dry up.

i think the roots are still good, and it sprouted the new little side branch.

can someone help me with advise on how to save this plant?

- photos attached -

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Trim out the main trunk and put your efort in the side shoot. Treat for spidermites, Neem

• abuhhuk
    6 years ago

thank you!!

• eSilviu
    6 years ago

Main trunk is way smaller for 4 years. I would suggest to start over, with an other variety, pot and soil. Key lime or Clementine I would think of.

• abuhhuk
    6 years ago

i dont want to give up on this plant... its sentimental.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

No reason to ditch it. You may need to repot it in 5-1-1 or similar

• UKMarc
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

HI, Id like some advice on my Lemon Tree if possible.

It is about 4 years old and very leggy, grown from seed from a lemon we had in Cyprus.

We are in the UK but it is in full sun in the front room, a very warm and sunny spot.

I have never pruned it, I'd like it to branch out a bit, where should i cut it?

It has some branches at the bottom!

Also, what size pot should i be looking at, I think this one is too small!

I also have a baby one from seed too, he got a bit eaten in the green house so now he is inside too and recovering well.

Any advice would be great, Thanks

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

UKMarc - You should consider potting the larger one in a minimum 30 - 35 cm pot to start and for both, make sure you feed them heavily (preferably with a higher nitrogen fertilizer and if you can find it, a fertilizer that has a N-P-K ratio of 5-1-3 or close).

• Timo Kuutti
    5 years ago

Hi! I'm wondering if I could get help from here for my lemon plant. This what you see here is the taproot of the plant. It's now about 10 years old, i've planted this as a kid and it has survived at my grandmas backroom with bare water all this time. When i found it, it was about 1.5m (5ft) tall and had just something like 20 leaves. I potted it in a bigger container and it started to grow new leaves, but then suddenly it dried them all and hasnt grown any new anymore. After 5 months without any sign of leaves or anything i checked the stem and noticed it was also dried out, i cutted all the stem out and found taproot which still had moisture in it. I planted it into smaller container and here it is. Due to age, i wouldn't like to give up with it, do you have any clue what should i do to get it grow branches and leaves again? Do I have any hope anymore?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Wait and see now

• em_rush7009
    5 years ago

Helpppp! Why don't I have any branch's on my lemon tree? I pinched it back once because it was just growing straight up and it made a new branch and then it just grew straight up and I pinched it back and now nothing..no new growth. Should I remove some more bottom leaves to make it more tree like, with a trunk? I've growth this fella from seed & it's 2 years old now. What should I do??

• HU-677094014
    4 years ago

Hello All, hope any of you could help, I have grown this lemon tree from seed. Its around 8 months old, UK weather. I am not sure if I should prune it to allow the plant to develop some branches or leave it as its too young. Please advise.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

It is too young for pruning to help in any way

• HU-677094014
    4 years ago

Thank you!

• Cătălina Ruxandra
    4 years ago

Same issue here - my lemon tree is growing wild in height. It's 11 months old. It has like these weird side thorns or at least that's what I think they are. Overall it's healthy but no side of branches. Should I prune it, bend it or let it grow wild? Thank you!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

bend it.

• dkassab
    3 years ago

You can cut the top and let me show you what happens in three weeks

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

I love this thread. So facinating.

Steve

• Cătălina Ruxandra
    3 years ago

I cut the tip a bit and now it has 3 beautiful branches growing! Thank you!

• Jay Coon
    last year

I'm glad I found this thread! My lemon tree looks exactly like yours did. So, all I have to do is cut the top off at an angle? Thank

• borobutty
    last year

So as an experiment we decided to try and grow a lemon tree from a supermarket lemon seed. No branches what so ever and a single stem doing well at about 1.5m. should we pinch the top off?

• Silica
    last year
    last modified: last year

borobutty, have you read any of the answers already given on this thread? If you have you should already know the answer to your question.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    last year

Dang, that is a beauty of a room with lots of light!!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

You can bend the tree over to get side branches.

• Silica
    last year

To make the tree branch out, just clip off the dominate bud. It is that simple!!!!

• Howard Martin
    last year

Maybe it is a mutation

• Jeannette Davis
    last year

I also have a lemon tree I started from the seed of a Meyer Lemon. The last lemon after moving from a home with 2 huge trees. This was the only seed that took hold when planted. It is now another foot taller than this photo. I give organic nutrients once a month.

So, from what I am understanding, I just cut off the top part of my tree, and that will encourage it to branch?

Please help?

• Silica
    last year

Correct

• Jeannette Davis
    last year

It has sprouted branches, Thank you!!

• Catherine Manzione
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

My sapling its about 18” tall no branches yet I grew it from an organic lemon i want tk keep it compact as i intend to keep it indoors Should I cut it back or wait?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    17 days ago

I would let it do it thing. It will branch when it is ready. When it is about 5 feet tall you will need to take a bud from the top and graft it to the bottom of the tree if you ever want fruit. wood maturity is messured by the tree as the number of leaves that bud is from the roots. At 5 feet you may have a leaf node count of 100.. the leaf node count will start at 100 even though the bud has been moved to the base of the tree.

• Silica
    17 days ago

It is very simple, Just cut off the top 2 inches of the tree. The top bud (apical bud) is keeping the lower buds from growing. After you make the cut you should seed side growth is 2 to 4 weeks.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    17 days ago

What kind of light are you using? Curious

• Catherine Manzione
    17 days ago

FBKK grow lite full spectrum has a 6 8 and 12 hr timer. I have it set on 12.

Its small but i bought it when the tree was 1” high I think its time for a bigger one.

• Catherine Manzione
    17 days ago

Thanks for all your advice!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    16 days ago

Take a pic of the light for me. I’d love to see it.
    I’ve been using lights for years and found real good led ones that work just as good as the sunlight.
    Getting lots of sunlight will help your tree go hang busters

• Catherine Manzione
    16 days ago

• Catherine Manzione
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Its actually a pretty cheap little light i got on amazon Which light are you using? I‘m going to buy a new one since the tree is getting bigger. Your sounds much better!

• Catherine Manzione
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Thanks for the advice Silica. I cut the top 2 inches and already have 2 new branches starting to grow!

• Silica
    yesterday

Your welcome.

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA