Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my lemon tree not growing any branches?

Posted by Majandra CA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 18:57

I have two lemon trees on my balcony, about 1,5 year old that grew out of seeds (found sprouting seeds inside of a very large lemon from someones lemon tree). It was fun to watch them grow but I realized that they are not growing any lateral branches. One tree is about 4 feet tall and the other one is very small for some reason. What should I do to have them start growing side branches and hopefully bloom someday??I am new to gardening and only planted these lemon seeds because they were sprouting and I thought it would be fun to have lemon trees and see if they would actually grow out of those seeds. Now I am much more involved and would like to take a better care of them.

Thank you for all responses and advices:)

Here is a picture of my young lemon trees. Maybe it will help:

My Lemon Trees

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my lemon tree not growing any branches?

Fertilize and stuff like that works pretty well. Urine is great for increasing the branching and foliage, by the way, but after the tree has obtained a good size and is blooming, it could throw off the balance of roots/leaves. Not sure how to explain, but a little urine is great to get it going, if you have any available at your house.

o

Thank you kumquat1 for your advices. Urine sounds a little unexpected:) but whatever it takes to get these babies to grow. I heard about pruning lemon trees but I assume there is nothing to prune here. Unless just the top of the trees but I guess that could kill them...

o

I also wanted to ask if anyone have an idea what kind of lemon trees these could be? I used seeds from a very large lemons (actually the biggest i have seen so far) that my friend had at home. I don't know from what kind of lemon tree these lemons came. I am not sure but after seeing pictures of different lemon trees it seems like these will grow pretty big...

o

Nice trees. Once the leaves fall off that are on there now they will generally start growing branches from those spots. Don't prune your trees because citrus require a certain amount of leaf nodes vertically ( amount of leaves on the tree) before producing fruit. Lemons with good care can start to produce fruit anywhere from 5 yrs to 10 yrs. Make sure they are in well drained potting mix. You can search this forum for a good mix. Also you need to fertilize them regularly. Search forums for fertilizers. About urin, I don't know much about it and personally wouldn't use it.

o

I am NOT suggesting you do this to your Lemon tree...but just wanted to share with you what I did to my Mango tree...when I wanted a tall lanky tree to be much shorter and bushier. I call this method "pugging" aka hard pruning.

Usually mango trees will branch out on their own...but I wanted to keep this tree "short" and it was already too tall for my liking so I chopped it off...a couple of months later I got a much shorter tree with nice branches, new growths emerged from the trunk and leaf nodes...

Here's some pictures (Mango tree) to show you what I mean...

This tree was almost 6ft tall...

Took it down to 2ft...

8-10 weeks later...

o

lol, pugging makes me laugh everytime i see it...al my citrus have relatively good branching...except my little baby key lime >.> He might get pugged some day

o

Thank you for all advices. I will probably just wait and let the tree start growing branches on its own. will look for some fertilizers. I use some blue sticks that i put in the soil every 2 months and the are supposed to feed the trees. Not sure if these are fertilizers or just food for them.

puglvr1 really nice mango tree you have. This is more what i wpuld expect my lemon trees to look like but i will let them grow and see what happens. Unless the tall one just keeps growing tall. It's already about 4 ft tall.

o

I strongly recommend against using fertilizer spikes.
They will often do more harm than good, and they are unreliable.

Josh

o

The tall one will keep on growing and yes it will eventually branch at its peak, probably on the next major flush (next year). But lemons are notorious for growing tall non-branching trunks much later than other citrus.

Is waiting for natural branching OK? It depends on your goals from the tree. But unless you want a "standard form" tree with a thick straight trunk with little to no branching until 5 feet high, I would suggest you cut it back now. Consider carefully the height you would like side branches to grow from, then cut it a couple inches higher than that.

The typical advice for seedling care is to trunk prune them when they reach about 18 inches to 2 feet. This will then start lateral branching. Even if you prefer the standard form, not bushy, you can select or train a new "trunk" based on what grows from that point over the next couple years.

Also, citrus seedlings will grow a central Tap Root which will likely be circling the bottom of your container soon if it hasn't already. You also don't want this behavior. You want nice branching roots as well.

Gently remove the tree from the container (put it on it's side) and look for a long thick root growing toward the bottom -- cut it off so it isn't circling. It should start forming side shoots from the cut point and to about the previous 4 inches. You can put it back in the same container but I would certainly upsize (potup) the container next spring. At that time you probably want some fresh soil anyway.

If you're unsure about the tap root prune, take a pic of the tap root then put it back in the container and we can review the photo and discuss.

o

Thank you Cebury for your post and advice. I found out some interesting things. I didn;t know that its normal for lemon trees to grow tall first. I will try to figure out what to do with my lemons when i get a chance and will look at the root as well.
Wating for natural branches to grow is ok with me unless it will slow down the proces of getting fruit someday. Also I would not want this tree to grow too big because it will be on my balcony for a while, probably next couple of years.

Thank you again

Josh, I will look into different fertilizers. I used the spikes because they just seemed to be the easiest to use. I didnt know there are many disadvantages to them.

I also attached a picture of these very large lemons that I took the seeds from to grow my lemon trees (pic from 2009)
LEMONs

o

Pruning off the top 1 foot or so of that seedling won't slow down the fruiting (by anything noticeable that is). It's going to be a long while before you get fruit. Just don't prune much (if any, other than infrequent tip pruning to force sub-branching as advised) b/c that will certainly slow down the leaf node count and thus delay fruiting.

The leaves that are growing on the trunk are needed right now. But they are also shading the trunk and therefore no light is available and sub-branching is much less likely -- absent the trunk prune I'm suggesting. Those leaves can stay there for up to 2 years, so depending on how old they are it might be a while before you get a side branch.

If your goal is to keep it in a container, I'd strongly advise you to trunk prune it right now. If you want to plant it in the ground, just cut off the tip, at the 5th leaf node (there are 3 at top, then 2 on the sides). If this is an outdoor tree year-round, and you decide to do it later, don't do it after June -- wait until next Spring.

Given all that I've said, it can be a pleasurable experience watching a tree do "its own thing" and let Mother Nature take the wheel (as best as she can in a tight little container with the tree location & fert under our control). Just know the goals of MN aren't the same goals for us. The vast majority of trees (incl fruit trees) don't realize they are there to feed us humans with good tasting fruit, they are there to survive and reproduce.

o

I thought my lemon trees were 1,5 years old but I found old photos of these large lemons(I used the seeds to plant my trees) and they were taken in 2009 so my trees have to be around 2 years-2,5 old.

Cebury, what are some good fertilizers? Someone advised just to use urine and I also found out that spikes are not very good.

Also what about the smaller lemon tree? I guess I can just give it another year before pruning? Yes, my goal is to keep them in a container since I do not have a yard to keep them there.

Also can you tell me where to cut the tip off? how many inches from the top?

Thank you for all advices I appreciate help:)

o

I concur with Cebury's advice. If it were my plant, I'd cut the larger one back to about two or three leaf nodes above the red ball (or just a leaf node or two below what looks to be a more recent flush of growth).

The lemon looks like a Ponderosa, but I won't swear to that!

I use Peters Professional (now called Jack's Professional, I think), but that is in part because I live in Connecticut, where citrus-specific fertilizer is not usually available. Miracle-gro's general purpose fertilizer would probably also be fine. Other people will have very different opinions! Make sure, whichever fertilizer you use, that it is appropriate for a containerized plant (granular fertilizer for plants in the ground is not good for trees in containers). Water soluble fertilizer won't burn the roots of the tree by sitting on the surface and can be applied in small doses during the growing season--every two or three weeks (if it calls for a tablespoon per gallon, I use a teaspoon). Basically, you want a water-soluble fertilizer that contains all the necessary micro-nutrients (iron, zinc, manganese, boron, etc.). I happen to use Peters for acid-loving plants, but I don't think this is actually necessary.

One suggestion: if your pots have built in saucers you should replace them with more functional saucers that allow you to easily see if water needs to be emptied from their catch trays. For a pot with a base diameter of 10 inches, I would use a saucer with a base diameter of about 11 inches. The goal is to be able to water the rootball till it is wet through, and then not water it again till the soil at the top of the container is almost dry to the touch. If the water can't drain out the bottom of the pot, you will almost certainly either over or underwater the trees.

o

don_in_ct thank you for your message.
I just googled ponderosa lemons and i found big similarity to the lemons I used for seeds. Thanks fore that:)

I will cut the top in an advised spot. How long should I expect to wait for branches to show?

Yes, these pots have built in saucers. I liked the idea thats why i got them but didn't know that a separate one and bigger would be much better.

o
how long for new growth and the answer to your original question

Majandra, I'd say the new growth will begin fairly quickly--a couple of weeks would not surprise me. Cut on a angle about an 1/8 an inch above the leaf you choose to be at the top of the cut. The new branches will typically form at the leaf nodes, with the largest new branch showing first and at the upmost leaf. I'd guess you may get new branches at three or four nodes.

You originally asked why your lemon tree was not growing any branches. The answer is basically that the actively growing tip suppresses branching below it, since it produces auxins--hormones that control bud formation--which move down the tree and basically tell the lower nodes not to send out branches (it's a bit more complex than that, but I think this gives you the basic sense of things). As long as this tip is actively growing, new branches will not be likely to develop. Eventually, if you don't cut the tip, it will either stop actively growing, and this will allow other branches to sprout, or it will grow long enough that leaf nodes lower down will not receive enough of the auxins to prevent bud growth.

When you cut off the growing tip, you basically shut down the production of auxins for a time, and thus the nodes below the cut will no longer receive the auxins that tell them not to grow. However, as soon as a bud begins growing, usually at the top leaf node, it will again begin sending auxins down to the lower nodes, and buds will again be suppressed. Of course, if three or four nodes manage to send out new growth before appreciable amounts of auxins are being received, they will continue to grow.

Yes about the built-in saucers: they look great, but really are not particularly helpful for keeping plants happy. I use the large and relatively inexpensive plastic pots sold at the home improvement stores around here, and the first thing I do when I get them home is to remove the saucers.

I then reuse the saucers by putting them under smaller pots or for other purposes.

One trick that works with the line of saucers I use is to use a pruning shears to cut off the locking nibs that protrude upwards (and create problems when I try to fit a smaller pot into the saucer). Most of these nibs are solid, so clipping them off does not create holes in the saucer. On a few of my saucers, however, the nibs have been hollow, and when I've cut them off I can't use them for their intended purpose.

The saucers also make good holding trays for seeds in peat or coir pellets: if you ever buy cakes with round plastic covers, you can literally reuse the covers to cover the pellets in the saucers.

o
Trimming a one year old lemon tree?

Hello,

I have planted this Lemon tree from a seedling just over a year ago. I have pruned all the leaves about 4 months ago and it now seems to be branching and becoming thicker. Should I prune the leaves again? It looks as thought it has split into two branches now and am just wondering if you recommend me to do this again to keep it more bushy as an indoor plant. I appreciate all your help!

o

Why on earth did you prune all the leaves off?? T I would leave it alone and let it grow. Yes, seedlings do tend to grow straight up, and you can top the tree when it gets to be about 3' tall, but for now, leave it alone so it can grow. Removing leaves (especially ALL the leaves) could end up killing your little tree. And, it may not cause lateral branch growth. Be patient, let it grow some more, and then top the tree when it reaches about 3' if you want to encourage lateral branching. I would do that in early spring, when you can bring the tree back outside, and the temps have warmed up, encouraging more growth.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here