Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
care of citrus trees

Posted by witchywoman51 6-7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 19:14

I only have a couple of lemons. a lime,a tangerine,a orange tree. I think the lemon is Meyer, orange is valencia but I dont know what the rest are. I am fairly new to this. The trees have had a rocky start. They are about three to 4 years old and some are about 6 feet. This is the first year that the lemon and orange have lots of blooms. My question is what kind of soil should I be using and is there a slow release fertilizer that you would reccomend? I have just had them in a regular potting mix and I am sure this is not right after reading some of these posts. Please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: care of citrus trees

Witchy, I don't want you to think for one second that I am putting you off or being unfriendly but I think your first step, right off the bat, should be to scroll down and read some of the old threads with topics that sound like they might answer your questions.

Your questions are good ones, but they have been discussed at great length in earlier threads...by a host of good people with all kinds of different experiences. Why not take advantage of all of the information and THEN come back to us if you still need help or coaching?

o
RE: care of citrus trees

First I think one needs to understand how soil mixes work in a container before they choose one.

I could recommend one that takes no work at all to use, such as Farfard nursery mix and then I could recommend you make your own. But what is the point of using a mix that works for us if you don't first understand how to keep roots healthy and learn about a mix that might work for you?

I am going to hook you up with a link and you will learn a lot of basics.

As Rhizo said, there is many threads and past writings from many great people here that have answered your questions many times over.

Have fun and welcome:-)

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Learn about containers soils and water movement

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here