Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardingnoob

Help me id whats wrong with my sick tree

gardingnoob
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I am totally new to gardening and growing stuff at all. I got a few citrus trees and blue berry trees from home depot last August. I am growing them in JD barrels. Since my yard is prone to flooding. All my trees are doing will but one of them. This guy did had a lot of damage to his leaves when i got him from the store from insect eating them, but he started to grow new leaves after I got it home and in the pot. It started to flower about a month ago and had a fair amount of new growth. We had a few light rains and strong winds past few weeks. I had not had a chance to check on the plants when I went out side this guy looked like this. I like to find out what wrong with it so if it is insects or something else I can stop it before it spreads to my other Orange, satsuma and lemon trees.

Comments (6)

• gardingnoob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had a few more photos I wanted to upload so here one them

• gardingnoob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lasts one thanks for any help

• honeybunny442
    10 years ago

Look at the stems, branches, tops and bottoms of leaves. Do you see any bugs? It doesn't look too bad to me from the photos but does look dry. The brown branches are goners so you can clip those. I would remove the green plastic tape holding your tree to the post. That's a favorite place for mealy bugs and scale to hide. (It often looks just fine but when you remove it there are lots of bugs underneath it.) You can give it a blast of horticultural oil (mix with water and spray on) on a cloudy cool day. What are the other conditions? How hot does that cement get? Does the cement reflect a lot of heat up into the plant? You also might want to gently slide the rootball out of the pot to check the roots.

• gardingnoob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do see what looks like little black ants crawling up the tree, and back down but they are never on the leaves. no more than 3 or 4 at a time. I am assuming they are ants, because I did have a black ant problem in my house a few years back, next to my sink and kitchen window. I do see a large bug on the leaves every so but never more one at a time. Are spiders harmful to the trees? I constantly have spiders in them. making webs until I water them or it rains. The soil is a little dry on the top but it is fairly most when I stick my finger in it. The temps have been fairly cool here for this time of the year in the low 70âÂÂs to upper 70âÂÂs. It is starting to warm up. I know in the summer that cement will get very hot as will the weather but it also rains here almost every day in the summer with an afternoon shower. And cools it down a good bit. I will check out the root ball and trim the dead parts of the tree and get rid of tags and do the spray you recommend. I have bug guy coming to look at my property this weekend to help with my recent flea problems and prep for termite season. Maybe that will help get rid of any pest I am not seeing. Any other tips or suggesting for dealing with potted citrus

• krismast
    10 years ago

Spiders are fine, they will not harm your tree! In fact they are incredibly beneficial to the garden. If you have ants on your tree, that might also be a sign you have aphids. Aphids can usually be taken care of by spraying under the leaves with a hose. It looks like maybe you have had some grasshoppers munching on your leaves, or some other chewing insect. Also, how often and with what do you fertilize?

Kris

• gardingnoob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was about two weeks off, from start of spring for my first fertilization. I am using slow release fertilizer so I don't burn them in the pots. use miracle grow fruit and tree fertilizer. looks I recently sprayed a organic pesticide soap No more insect activity expect spiders and the ants seem to have disappared after I put some ant baits next to the pots. This tree is doing a little better but any new growth turns black immediately and dies. My other tress are now show signs of what i think is Anthracnose or Botrytis rot. I take pictures of them tomorrow and post them.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus