Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mn_citrus

Is my Meyer Lemon confused?

mn_citrus
10 years ago

We got two meyer lemons last June that were rooted cuttings. We repotted both into 1.5 gallon pots, and they've been growing well. However, they've been behaving differently as far as flowering and fruiting.

One of the trees started blooming just after Christmas, and by mid-January it had set several dozen fruits. Most of them fell out on their own, but we were left with 6 fruit that had gotten to marble size by mid March. However, over the last few weeks, all of them have turned yellowish and have fallen. The tree has been blooming continuously since late December, and is starting to set little tiny fruits again.

The other tree didn't start blooming until February, but has set a few dozen fruits that have gotten to marble size already and look healthy. It is also continuing to bloom.

Both trees have been treated to the same regimen. We brought them indoors in the fall (since we're in MN) and have them near a south facing window with supplemental CFL full spectrum lights. We water them when the top of the soil is dry (about once a week, sometimes a little longer). We've been using 1 tsp of Foliage Pro and one tsp of white vinegar per gallon of water.

Any theories on why the one tree bloomed so early, and why it gave up on the first batch of fruit? The leaves continue to look good, and the only health issue is that one of the main branches that started out pretty horizontal last summer is now drooping below the lip of the pot under it's own weight. I've tied it to a little stake to try to keep it up, but that branch will probably need to be pruned some day. I just don't want to prune it now since it's a significant portion of the leaves. I'm trying to encourage the more vertical branches to grow taller first.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths