Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbpj

Gopher proof beds?

I would like to get most of my citrus out of their pots and into the ground. I have a few old citrus in the yard planted by previous owners, and they really do much better than the container plants.

But since then and now this yard has become the gopher capitol of the neighborhood.
It's a bigger lot than most of the area, it was the first house and the surrounding houses were built on land that the previous owners sold off. And in the mean time it seems the local gophers retreated to this property. So I'm assuming there was lots of undeveloped land when my in ground trees were planted and therefore didn't get eaten when young.

In my experience, if you can keep the gophers away for the first few years until the plant hardens up, they seem to leave it alone.

I would like to make some planting beds where some roses are now, I have an idea of lining them with some kind of thick hardware cloth. I know at some point they will rust away, but if I can get something that will last for at least 3-5 years they should be fine.

I now don't have much faith in gopher basket cages sold retail; I planted an apple that died from other causes last year, and when I pulled it up, the $5 gopher cage had the bottom totally rusted away and gone, that's in less than 12 months.

So if anyone knows of something that will last at least three times as long or more, I want to hear about it!
Also, any other gopher strategies would be great too!

We do trap and so far this year are up to about 25 or so, but seems like for every one dispatched two more move in! I'm starting to feel like Carl from Caddy Shack!

Comments (7)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

My Grandmother used to plant all her gopher-sensitive plants with broken glass mixed with the soil... seemed to work for her; and the roots don't seem to mind.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

coyotes,badgers,wolves,weasels,opossums,owls,bobcats eat gopher's. Don't forget the gopher snake. It rattles its tail like a rattle snake and should deter 2 legged dear.

Do you have access to burmese pythons. They make excellent killing machine. Just make sure you ware you constrictor prof diaphragm, chest, and neck armour when your out in the orchard.

Be safe
    Steve

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Well, first off, start trapping the gophers. No matter what you do, if you don't get the gopher population under control, they're going to find a way to eat everything on your lot. There are some traps that work very well, things like the "Black Box", MacAbee traps, both set in the main runner tunnel, facing away from each other. Trap, trap, trap. Keep trapping. In the meanwhile, you can use hardware cloth, and make a big box, 3' x 3' for your hole, also on the bottom. That will keep them at bay for a while. It's a huge undertaking, but the most important thing you can do is trap the gophers. I have done this religiously on my 1 acre property, and I have been able to keep them to almost zero on my lot. Can't say the same for some of my neighbors. I wouldn't recommend broken glass, as you may end up digging that area up some time down the road (or the next owners might), and you could end up injuring yourself or the new, unwitting neighbors might injure themselves. And, not so sure this works so well, as gophers are very adept at just tunneling around things.

Patty S.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Johnmerr,The broken glass idea is interesting, but with my memory I'd forget I did that and probably accidentally dig it up sometime later.

Steve, I would love to get some gopher snakes and have looked into it. Seems no one sells them, and I've not been able to lure them to the yard. I did have way worse gopher problems after, a. one neighbor moved and took all the feral cats they kinda fed to the pound, and b. the other neighbor cut down a large, wide and overgrown hedgerow that apparently an owl was nesting in. grrrr!

Patty, you are right in that trapping is one of the best ways, but I don't think you got to the last sentence of my way too long post, lol!
    We do trap, but it's not enough. I'm looking for longer protection than the gopher basket cages the nursery sells.
    Really good instructions on how to do it though.

I like the idea of 3'x'3 boxes. It is a lot of work, but maybe less than the idea of lining the whole 4'x30' bed. What gauge hardware cloth did you use, I'm really wanting something that will last a few years at least.

• Chandran
    10 years ago

Here's what I do on some of my expensive plants - I use very large "squat" type heavy plastic pots drilled with 1" holes all around in two rows as well as holes on the bottom of the pot. Then I pot up the plant right into this pot with potted soil. Lastly you dig a big enough hole in the ground to accompany this squat plastic pot with the plant inside. If you do it right, you would not even know that the plant is in a pot because it looks like it is planted right into the ground. So far my olive and other plants have survived the gophers going on more than three years. Understand that your plants will probably not get as big as if the roots were unhindered but I'd rather have a live plant than a dead plant with the roots chewed up by these nasty gophers.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chandran, that's an interesting idea, but could it work with the garden soil? I don't want to pull them up in 4-5 years to re-pot with fresh potting soil, assuming the potting mix would break down after a while.

• Chandran
    10 years ago

Barb,
    I used Miracle Garden soil to pot and have not changed the soil all these three years. I have added worm castings and fertilizers to some but have not at all fertilize the olive tree. They all seem to be doing well. I guess if I wanted to change the soil, I could dig some out and put in new soil. Haven't done it yet. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it! At least not yet! And gophers haven't attack them yet.

Mae