Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_regrets_gw

Yellow vein chlorosis

no_regrets
16 years ago

Got a dwarf improved Meyer in early Feb. and planted into the ground where it gets direct sunlight about 6 hours a day, bright light the rest of the day. Blooming profusely, tons of little baby lemons, treated an ant/aphid infestation and now relatively insect-free.

When I got the tree, the newest leaves were thin and light green, almost white, but rather than go overboard with trying to fix anything I decided to pretty much leave it be for awhile. Those leaves haven't changed at all but now I've got yellow vein chlorosis on the lower leaves. The leaf stays green but the veins turn yellow and hte leaf eventually drops. What causes this, and should I do something about it?

Comments (8)

• orchidguyftl
    16 years ago

if its true chlorosis, it would be a lack of iron
    I get around this with my plants by tapping a few high iron content nails into the ground or pot that they are growing in, rusty ones work best and will green up the plants in a couple weeks

• bencelest
    16 years ago

Severe Nitrogen deficiency- totally yellow leaves with no variation of color or yellow orange veins with some green out on the far side.
    With less severe nitrogen deficiency the symtoms will show up on the older leaves with the new leaves will still having some green .

Iron deficiency - new leaves with green veins on an otherwise yellow leaf with no green border area around the veins.
    So buy a fertilizer with high on N. That's the first number on the fertilizer like 19-8-12 with micronutrients. Your safe bet is the miracle grow fert for rodo/?/? fert former name:miracid

• bencelest
    16 years ago

Oh, BTW those info I gave I copied it from Millet's thread given to him by Dr. Manners a long time ago.

• no_regrets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much. What are the chances of having a plant deficient in both? I ask because when I got the tree, it has what sounds like iron deficiency but the leaves that are now yellowing sound like a nitrogen deficiency. What are the chances, eh? :-)

• bencelest
    16 years ago

Of course, it is always possible. It is just like a sick child, you can have a cold and a fever at the same time. But if I were you I would check first the pH of your soil. But then if you want to take a 'chance' just add ironite and fert that are high in nitrogen. Make sure you get the one high in ammoniacal nitrogen so it is readily available to your plant. But do so in half dose. You don't want it to overdose. But do it twice as many times as it said on the label.
    Here's an excerp from my notes:
    "Soil pH affects the amount of nutrients that are
    soluble in soil water and, therefore, the amount of
    nutrient available to plants. Some nutrients are more
    available under acid conditions while others are
    more available under alkaline conditions. However,
    most mineral nutrients are readily available to plants
    when soil pH is near neutral.

The development of strongly acidic soils (pH less
    than 5.5) can result in poor plant growth as a result
    of one or more of the following factors: low pH,
    aluminium toxicity, manganese toxicity, calcium
    deficiency, magnesium deficiency, and low levels
    of essential plant nutrients such as phosphorus
    and molybdenum. "
    Benny

• mielemiele
    16 years ago

The fertilizer benny was refering to is Miracle-Gro Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food.

Product information is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle-Grow Website

• ClemCirelli
    10 years ago

There are also some viruses that produce symptoms of veinal chlorosis (the process is called "vein clearing") in varying patterns. We recently had a customer bring in leaves from an ornamental cherry tree that showed a literal mosaic of yellow veins and veinlets with perfectly green leaf tissue between all the yellow veins. The only close match I could find in my research is a virus common in India called Bendhi Yellow Vein Mosaic Virus, which attacks Okra plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bhendi Yellow Vein Mosaic

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm