Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyers lemon tree

Posted by Beckcol1 South Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 20:15

I have a Meyers lemon tree I planted it last year from a pot, shortly after it lost all of its leaves, about 6 months later it started finally growing leaves back but something ate allot of them. Now after winter it's grown allot of leaves again and had a few blooms. I fertilized it 2 weeks ago and now the blooms fell off and none of them set, the leaves are also turning a little yellow and something is eating them again. What do I need to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyers lemon tree

Well, first off, let's clear out the grass carefully from under the tree. Secondly, your soil looks pretty dense, are you on clay? If so, be careful not to over water. Citrus do better when planted on raised mounds if you have clay soil. Lastly, I would identify what is eating your citrus leaves. Go out in the early morning, or later evening, as that's when bugs tend to come out to forage. I can't tell for sure, since the photo isn't close enough, but it could be snails or slugs eating your leaves. So, ID the pest and treat, accordingly. Fertilize 3 to 4 times a year, and not too late in the season, as you do not want tender new flush exposed to cold temps. Protect your tree from temps that threaten to fall below 32 degrees. Fruit drop is not at all unusual for a tree trying to re-establish itself. Give it a year to recover well.

Patty S.

o

What time of the year? What's best to fertilize with?

o

you can use most fertilizers that contain micronutrients.

i would suspect deer are munching on the leaves.

o

What would be a good watering schedule?

o

Water when the tree needs it. Check the soil 18 to 24 inches down. If it is still moist, don't water. You'll get to know your soil's moisture retention during different times of the year. You may need to water more during hot dry times, less during cooler rainier times.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here