Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msugrl2010

Question about gritty mix

msugrl2010
11 years ago

Hello all!

I'm going to use Al's Gritty mix formula for my citrus, and if I use dyna gro foliage pro as my fertilizer do I need to add any calcium and sulfur to the mix of turface, granite grit, and fine bark? (so add Gypsum plus formula? it's in the link below)

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3076342&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID=162411798

Also, does anyone know of any youtube videos or any website that provides a step by step process of making your gritty mix and planting the citrus into the mix? This will be the first time I do this so I want to make sure I do it right. A few things I've read confuse me, like how the mix is one part turface, one part crushed granite/ granite grit, and one part fine bark. what does "one part" mean? one cup?

Also, would Al's gritty mix work for gardenias by any chance?

Any help greatly appreciated! :)
MSUgrl2010

Comments (2)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You can go to the Container Forum and find some answers to your questions more promptly that you will here. Locate Al and ask him directly, if you like.

By the way, 'one part' means whatever measurement you will be consistently using. It could mean one big scoopful, one gallon, one cup, one whatever. Just make sure that the measurement quantity is the same for each component. You can't jump from cups for one ingredient and gallons for the others. Does that make sense?

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

If you use foliage Pro, you don't need to add anything else...not calcium or gypsum. I haven't heard of adding sulfer? A "part" is any measure you'd like it to be as long as you use the same vessel to measure each ingredient... a bucket, a plastic cup or a gallon container can be a "part".