Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why are my meyer lemon leaves drooping and falling off?

Posted by pansyloverandgrower Zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 20:30

i have small meyer lemon, about 1 foot and a half tall. i got it at a garden show. right now it is in kindof a harder soil with bark on top. it bloomed and seemed happy for about a month, then the leaves started to drooped and get yellowish and now they are falling off! the blooms have faded, no fruit. i water it about every 3-4 weeks. it is on my windowsil 24/7 and it wonder it it is too cold? i read soewhere to use a heat mat? i have one. what about fertilizer? i have never fed it before, i didnt realize it needed some.

-what soil should it have?
-what fertilizer should i use
-should i use a heat mat? nowhere in my house gets much light besides my windowsil(should i use a grow light?)
-why would it be drooping?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why are my meyer lemon leaves drooping and falling off?

shows you are zone 8. can you place the tree outside in full sun? if not, a south window.

3-4 weeks in between waterings seems a bit long. i would set it in the bath tub or kitchen sink and give it enough water to thoroughly saturate the soil. let it sit for a few minutes to let most of the excess water drain out. then set it in a sunny location. check the soil's moisture every couple of days.

dont fertilizer until it has recovered.

if it shows signs of life, just continue checking the soil moisture and water when dry. a few weeks after that you can give it some fertilizer. and repot next spring.

o

My whole 5-6 ft tree now seems to be drooping over, and some of the leaves are curled up and hanging badly. It has had several blooms on it, and now has one green golf ball size lemon. I need help, I don't want it to die. It is in a 25 gallon patio pot, mulched, along with a Clementine that is doing just fine. And has had plenty of water. Now I am wondering if maybe too much. Will check that out in the morning. But, still need some advice on what to do, or look for, I love growing things, and it hurts when I fail at something like this.

o

Connie how long have you had it in the pot? the roots might be bound iun the pot, and need to be trimed. do some searches, you will find on here a thread about containers and water movement, and one on root pruning.
Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here