Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seagoatgirl

Long-suffering Meyer now has fungus/mold issues - help?!

westgirl
10 years ago

My oldest Meyer Lemon - the tree responsible for encouraging my citrus obsession by flourishing for so long, continues to fail.(I've posted about this tree before). It had started to do better last summer and then had all new growth attacked by CLM. This winter I left it outside with twinkle lights thru the branches and circling the resin pot and then tented it in frost cloth. It did fine (except where the foliage touched the cloth & froze) and even started to bloom. I took the frost cloth off in February when it seemed like it wasn't going to freeze, but left the lights on the pot. I think this was a big mistake. When I went to disconnect the lights (mid-Feb) the potting medium (basically 5-1-1) had weird fibery- fungus(?) all throughout and I realized that some of the leaves were turning an odd silvery color. The tree started to decline and no matter how much of the web-like fungus I pulled out of the soil, there was more growing. I ended up pulling the tree out of the pot and soaking it in water with some hydrogen peroxide added.(I was surprised to see the size of the rootball - very small. No root rot, but no new white roots either) I got rid of the old mix, washed the pot in hydrogen peroxide and made new 511 mix, replanted, and stuck the tree in my outdoor greenhouse (unheated, but at least protected from the weather). Almost two months later the tree is still failing and there is definitely mold on the wood chips in the mix. There is also a granular substance that looks like it could be some type of mold or fungus.
Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions about how to proceed? I'm starting to panic and am restraining myself from taking it out of the medium it's in. I haven't watered it, but the soil stays moist (the pot has many drainage holes and is also wicked).
I've recently started using Repti-Bark for my wood chips (time saver) - could it be something about the bark?
I'm really desperate to save this tree. I have several other Meyers that are thriving and beautiful, but this tree is special to me and it pains me to see it failing.
BTW - I also had a Yuzu in the same situation and the same results. I just re-potted in last week in new 511 made with Repti bark and realized today that the bark is also all moldy. The Yuzu looks like a goner, so I may try something drastic (like repotting again) as I don't think it will make it
Help??

Comment (1)