Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
citrusweekendwarrior

Rooting Meyer Lemon

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of cutting some branches of my tree. Its newer growth, still green with no bark. But its thicker, like the width of a pencil and maybe a foot
My question is: Would it be unrealistic to try and root this branch? What would be the best way of doing this?
Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• norwoodn
    10 years ago

Of course it's realistic! Meyers are brought up this way all the time, from what I've heard they're the easiest to root, and do well on their own roots in containers. But in ground they may be susceptible to diseases. Anyway, I just took a cutting off mine like you described and dipped it in some root hormone and put it in a porous mix with a plastic bag over it to increase humidity. I left the leaves on, thinking the plant will draw energy from them towards roots. And I cut it during the night or morning as they have the most moisture in the wood then. Mist it every now and then. Hopefully she'll do something in at least two months. Keep it in ambient light.

• garret_87
    10 years ago

If its your first time, I would root more than one. I rooted 5 and oddly enough, only the weakest looking one survived. It took about 4 months to root as the others withered and died.

Sterilize your cutting equipment. Use a rooting hormone. Slice the bottom stem down the middle a little bit with razor and dip into the rooting hormone. I used seed starting soil, but im not sure what works best. Prewater soil. Poke a hole in the soil with pen or pencil as far down as the stem you are about to insert. Insert the cutting and construct a humidity dome over it. I used a 2 liter pepsi bottle. Wait for roots to grow.

FYI This is only what I did - i am no expert. It was a fun experiment and I am happy that the one survived. The cutting was a pretty young new growth stem not hardened or dark green at all.

Hope my experiences point you in the right direction.

• mr_z1
    10 years ago

I tried rooting 1 cutting. It was nice and green for about 2 months before it went dark green and died. No roots were formed.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I think perhaps May through July is a good time to root these. Remove any soft growth, and keep a few of the mature leaves. Remove all but two or three leaves.

Use rooting hormone.

I have had good luck rooting in a large clear plastic storage box with a mix of sterlilized potting soil and perlite.

I leave it outside under a shrub and the heat from the summer time (but not in sun) really helps them root quickly.

• palan
    9 years ago

Attempting to root some meyer lemon hardwood cuttings.
    Have prepared them with wound and root hormone
    I have a misting system and sand bed with heat cable.
    I have about 30 cuttings stuck about a month now
    Am giving two months before checking on sucess
    Wlii try to remember to come back to report