Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Kaffir Lime fruit? Have you ever?

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone here has ever seen a Kaffir Lime tree produce fruit in a pot?

I have tons of Asian friends that grow this tree, some as high as 6 feet high and they tell me they never flower, let alone fruit. But they are great for culinary dishes.

Mike:-)

Comments (20)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Most Kaffirs are produced from seed; it could be 10 years before you get a fruit. My grafted kaffirs produce flowers and fruit in about 2 years.

• krismast
    10 years ago

Mike,

I have a grafted kaffir from four winds. It did great being indoors over winter! So hopefully within a few years, it might flower! I'm attaching something I found online.

Kristopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here!

• eahamel
    10 years ago

I've seen them in nurseries with fruit on them, it isn't uncommon. The fruit are small and very wrinkly and knobby. And sour. I've occasionally seen them in markets here. You know you can cook with the leaves, don't you? I have a seedling that's about 6" tall, and know it will be forever before I get fruit, but there will be plenty of leaves before then to cook with.

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Some good news and some not so good news

Good news is I saw a few not fully ripened walnut sized Kaffer lime today.

Not so good news they where all on a very old Ponderosa lemon tree as a grafted section which is meant to allow a Kaffir to fruit more easily and freely.

Good news is they had some ( four total) in four inch pots

Not so good new is They could still keep someone very busy just to rotate pots

Good news is the best one available is yours Mike and it looks exactly like the one in this pic

{{gwi:582855}}

Not so good is my patchy was not intended for viewing but was used for size comparison as it's only 16 inches high from the very bottom of pot to the very top of it.

Good news is they even had another nicely sized developing plant which looks ( again) exactly like the one in this pic

{{gwi:582856}}

Not so good news is an empty 4 inch deep bonsai pot I coincidentally have on hand is used for size comparison. (One eye wink x 2)

Good news is If I was certain you would of gotten a better one from another place in short time I would of passed but the best of what they had is also yours

Not so good news Mrs wants to keep the Variegated Hoya after seeing it in the haul.

Good news is you still have more Hoya than I do I'll just call this one Hoya keeper until the next trip.

Not so good news I think I push button dialed incorrectly from my cell hence why I dont use one as a habit

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you John, Eahamel, Krismat, and Wes!

Now that you picked up that Kaffir for me Wes, thank you, and it is sitting in my yard, let's see what happens and how long.
    I suppose if it is a cutting from a mature tree, then it just migh surprise me:-)

Also thanks agian Wes for that Mango too. Now it will have to be a race as to which one produces fruit first hopefully in my lifetime!

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hey, Mike, Wes, John, Eahamel, and Krismat!
    Mike, we cook the most amazing Hmong (Laotian) curry soup using the Kaffir lime leaves. It's called Ka-poon (as we would write it in English).

Josh

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Josh...

Who knew you were a foodie... should have known... so many who are Meyer growers are amateur or professional chefs; it is how I first became a fan of the Meyer

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Was a pleasure Mike not sure who was more surprised by the end of the day haul, me or you.
    Nothing is certain, though I think you can fruit the Kaffir before the age you try to avoid.
    Kind of the same as saying I'd of never thought I'd smell an evergreen tree that smelled like a citrus either, but I did.

Knew Josh was a foodie but to what level might of aroused a question at least now it's no secret. Dayumm Josh that soup looks marvelously yummy even for a pic.

Message for you mom NO NO NO is easy to do if only to ask if her son will ever stop acquiring plants.

Wonderful visit Mike thanks again for everything.

• bedtime
    10 years ago

While we're on the topic of kaffir lime trees, I was wondering if there is a difference in speed of foliage growth between any of the citrus compared to the kaffir. mrlike2u's tree looks to have a very thick trunk so I now question how fast those leaves grow.

• krismast
    10 years ago

Josh,

That looks incredibly delicious! Is there a recipe for that? I'm a bit of a foodie myself. I love to cook, and as John said, that's the whole reason I got a meyer and a kaffir lime tree! I love making green curry!

Kristopher

10 years ago

Thanks, John, Wes, and Kristopher! Yeah, I like food with unique flavor, whether bold or subtle.

Kristopher, I photo-documented the ingredients and process of making Ka-poon, and I'll have to write it up. Cans of red curry paste, coconut milk, a bundle of Kaffir Lime leaves, damned near a big bottle of fish sauce, and that's the base.....lots of other good stuff goes in....bamboo shoots, banana blossom, shaved carrot, onion, big chunks of galanga, lemon grass, pounded chicken....

• jbplantobsessed
    10 years ago

I would love that recipe...I just bought a kaffir lime tree so I could cook with the leaves! I am so hungry now!! LOL

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Man Josh, can I come over for that!?

You certainly know how I feel about Asian dishes! I'll bet you add a few Hot Peppers to certain dishes too:-0)
    Looks so good. Now I think I will use my Kaffir leaves for a bowl of something too!

Mike

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    10 years ago

I have a 10 yrs old kaffir tree at my backyard (grown in container) and I have never seen a single fruit. See photo

Jimmy

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Mike, does Kaffir Lime flowers count? lol.

It took years before my limes grew fruit. Don't know what I did different, but they now fruit..Especially during winter months. Strange huh?

{{gwi:582861}}

• serge94501
    10 years ago

@Josh, where do you get banana blossoms? I want to make that soup and have access to everything else (including the leaves, from my tree).

Looks awesome!

BTW, my tree came from the nursery with 1 or 2 little fruit onboard. We'll see what it makes after transplantation into 5-1-1.

10 years ago

Hello!
    I still haven't written up the recipe...knew I'd neglected something ;-)
    Serge, we buy the banana blossom at different Asian stores or markets...it's canned. Here's a pic:

• garret_87
    10 years ago

Mike,

There was a blog I used to follow named: A Growing Tradition. The lady lived in Massachusetts and among here many plants were a few citrus in containers. Her Kaffir Lime grew several limes and they looked beautiful and bumpy. Her Meyer Lemon also produced more than a dozen every year.

Sorry for late response. I was just searching the forums for Kaffir Limes. I am looking into buying one. Have u purchased one since you posted in April?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Garret...Thank you

Yes I did get one..An awesome member here was very thoughtful and knew how much I wanted one.It is a cutting, quite a big one and i hope it does something for me...It is an aggressive grower, that I can tell you....I had to cut it back twice to force it to grow in a nice shape...Appreciate that!

Jstewart..YUM lol

Toni..Yeh..lol..I never knew you had one..Wow!!!

Josh, not bad...

Jimmy...What's up with that? That is very starnge and yet in the ground? Now that is discouraging...lol
    It's nice looking though.

Thanks again Mrlike!!!:-)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler