Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Meyer Lemon Indoors

Posted by madakatude 6A (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 21:10

Hers a pick of my tree. It's indoors in the biggest pot I could buy. It's still freezing here at night and some days are still cold as well. I don't have a spot to put this in where it can get sun. Worried. It's just to big. Can I put it out now. Most other post say freezing can kill the tree. But I'm guessing no sun is just as bad.

Thanks everyone....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Meyer Lemon Indoors

Hmm I think shade or no light is better than freezing the plant.
But if you even have ambient window light or like fluorescent light bulbs, that may benefit it more! Hope this helps!

o

Any idea how old this tree is?

o

Well is it a graft, or is it on its own roots? Looks like 5 years give or take a couple.

o

It is grafted and it's suppose to be 3-4 years old. I can see the start of small lemons. Will I have some by September?

o

Okay well lemons/limes take at least about half a year from flower to harvest.
Winter oranges take a year.
Summer oranges take a year and a half!

So add six months from the time it flowered(:

This post was edited by norwoodn on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:32

o

Meyers grow really fast, so 3 years would be my guess.

Citrus generally needs more light the warmer it is. If they're sitting at 40 degrees, they need very little light (they won't really grow though). Some people keep their trees over the winter in unheated, unlit sheds. If they're at 80 degrees, they need a lot of light (as they want to be active and growing).

So, don't let it freeze, but an unheated garage that stays in 40-50s overnnight is probably a better spot than in the 70s in your house.In normal household temperatures, they really want to be infront of a big window, or under growlights.

o

I think low temps are worse than low light, at least for this short period before the tree can go outside. The outdoor temps could kill the tree outright. Point a few florescent lamps at it instead of taking it outdoors too early.

o

And be sure, when you move it out, you move it to full shade; and then gradually adjust it to more sun; if you don't it will drop many/most/all its leaves.

o

what cause the leaves to fall off?

o

The leaves fall off simply due to "response in changing stimuli".
Fancy talk for the conditions have changed drastically, whether it be temperature, humidity, amount of light, moisture.. so anything really..

They'll grow back and adapt to the change (hopefully)!

o

Here's an update on this Lemon Tree's progress this summer. I had a bunch of small lemons that kept falling off. One of the Lemons stuck and if you look close you can see it on the upper left. During the summer I bought some smaller ones and they grew a lot better them this big one. tons of lemons????

What should I do with these plants now that fall is upon us. The lemons don't look like they are ready to pick. do these need to go indoors?

o

The smaller ones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here