Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huge lemons

Posted by boogar no clue (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 21:19

Im getting lemons bigger than softballs.

20 inches around in some cases.

very thick skin.

can this be fixed?, or is it the type of tree?

thanks
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huge lemons

Are you sure it is a lemon? Sounds more like a pummelo. Possibly it could be a Ponderosa Lemon, but Ponderosas usually are only 3 or 4 inches in diam. Millet (GBJP-II)

o

• Posted by Laaz z8b SC (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 22:08

Could be a ponderosa, my brother in CA said his ponderosa's are huge this year due to the soaking rains...

o

A Ponderosa Lemon, growing in the Oak Pk Conservatory in IL, has fruit larger than grapefruit w/a diameter 6-8"..They're incredible..Toni

o

• Posted by boogar 9 bay area CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 16, 05 at 11:17

Im beginning to think I have a graphted lemon tree.

10 uears ago I was told its a myer lemon, but only the smallest of three trunks gave me small myer type.

The other two grew much taller and gives massive lemons.

Anyhow......the fruit is useable and tasty...one lemon goes a looooong way.

Peace to all

o

Boo, if your tree is grafted, you should see a line on the main trunk. That's where it was grafted.
Meyer's lemon's grow big but not like a Ponderosa or Satsuma. What shape is the fruit? Toni

o

Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 18:41

Sounds like your rootstock has taken over. Do the leaves on all three branches look the same ? Many times you will find the roostock sprouting at the graft line, these must be removed asap as they are usually much more vigorous than the grafted bud.

o

the leaves on two branches look the same.
The smaller trunk has smaller leaves and almost no thorns.
Massive thorns on the two larger some 3 inches.

Thanks for all the help.
Mike

o

I am assuming you are measuring circumference with the 20 inches...that would be about 6 inches diameter...pie r square and 2 pie r stuff. A basketball is 9 inches diameter and 30 inches circumference, so either way, that's one heck of a lemon you got there. Maybe it's time to call Ripleys or Guiness...Z

o

I have a lemon twice as big as a ponderosa. A friend discovered it on a tree that grew out of his compost pile!

Here is a link that might be useful: Panzarella lemon

o

Hi there, I read your post because I'm in EXACTLY the same situation. Ten years ago my Mom bought me a Myers which has been wonderful, lots of beautiful fruit. Then last fall, I see the first humongo lemon, I thought it was just a mutant, but now I've had many more. They all come from a thick stock that shot way into the air. It is a graft, when I looked to the bottom of where the stock comes from, you can see it. For all I know, we may both be a victim of the same someones sense of humor! But you're right, they are juicy and tasty, so what the heck!

o

Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 8:55

More than likely your lemon tree was grafted to pomelo rootstock. The rootstock has taken over and you now have pomelo's.

o

That's exactly what I figured, so I bought a pomello one day and compared the fruit. They aren't the same at all. the pomello had sort of a grapefruit thing going and my fruit is PURE lemon. I cannot figure out what it is, and more importantly, what to do about it? Can I just have the big trunk cut down, or will that kill the myers part of the tree? Who does one consult in these matters? EEK, I hate to kill the tree! Thanks for any advice!

o

Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 21:23

Maybe a Ponderosa lemon...

http://ccpp.ucr.edu/variety/images/vi409f.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Ponderosa Lemon

o

Ha ha...can this be fixed? Like being too big is a problem? Yes, I think you could talk to your tree and tell it to stop growing such big lemons or you will chop him down! Ya, that will work. Lesley

o

You can always T-bud with other types of lemons. It is quite easy to do extreme makeover of the whole citrus tree.

o

It sure sounds like the root stock has made those 2 branches. And usually the pummelo that is used for root stock is not chandler, which is what you would find in the store for fruit, but rather a shaddock. It is a nice fruit too.
If you want to keep getting the meyer lemon, it's time for some drastic pruning. You will have to remove the large fruiting branches and leave only the meyer. and you will have to watch for more new suckers that will soon follow and keep them cut back.
If you like the big fruit, what ever it is, then let it keep growing. It will likely soon over take the meyer though.
Arthur the Date Palm Guy

o

Mike, could you post a picture of your "huge lemons" ?
I saw this huge lemons, someone from Altadena showed us
at work.

o

Trying to get px of huge lemons to compare to mine,,Almost Honduran football size,, 1= 1 gal lemonade..

o

Bobby, your lemons sound huge..my God, one lemon ='s a gal on lemonade?
The largest lemons I know of are Ponderosas which look like grapefruit, but don't know if that's the type you mean..I'd love seeing a pic of your tree..Toni

o

Send me your email and I will send you some,,Last year when I came here,, I was told these were lemons,not footballs growing on a Honduran Tree,, so , when I was told they were ready,, I began the lemonade thing,, and ususlly one created 6 ounces,,This am,, it took 2,, so mabey my memory is failing,,72 now, or the "lemons" I got yesterday were smaller??dont know,, even at that,, 2 = Gal,, pretty damn good.. I will show you,,,email???

o

The last house I lived in had a lemon tree that grew huge lemons too. We couldn't believe it. We found the BEST lemonade recipe and made it all the time for potlucks. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemonade Recipe

o

Ah, yes, ponderosa lemons. That's what we have as well. For the first few years we thought we lived on a nuclear waste site and refused to have anything to do with those mutant lemons. Then we tasted it. It wasn't too good, but not bad either. So I infer from this thread that these lemons can be consumed?

o

Ponderosa's grow huge lemons, as large as grapefruits.
Bakaroni, you said for the first few yrs we 'thought' we lived on a nuclear wate site, then ask if it's safe..Did you ever find out whether or not it was a nuclear site or not? Toni

o

hopefulauthor, I was only kidding about the nuclear waste site.

o

LOL, Bakaroni..and here I believed you..duh..lol..Glad you don't live in an area like that anyway..Nuclear missles hidden underground..Yikes..Take care, Toni

o

I have huge lemons with super thick skin and almost no juice. My limes were fine but now they are taking on the same traits. And they are all weirdly shaped. Help!

o

I have a Meyer lemon in a pot on my deck, the lemons are also huge, about the size of a softball with a reg lemon fruit size inside, so the skin is over 1"thick. I remember hearing that there was something environmental that caused this but can't find it anywhere. i would post a pic but don't know how on this site.Thanks, Phil

o

HHmm
Never heard of lemons being grafted, none of mine are.
They dont need to be unless you are keeping it "dwarfed". Even then, never heard of a meyer being grafted to a ponderosa or pumello. That wouldn't dwarf them and meyer arent susceptible to nematodes which is why some citrus is grafted in the first place.

I have meyer which are almost the size of grapefruits, thin skinned juicy as heck and pretty sweet, for a lemon.
My ponderosa produce lemons about the size of a pumello, just a fraction smaller the skin is thicker then meyer but not real thick, bout 1/4-1/2" thick. They are very juicy and also kind of sweet, I get more then a cup of juice per lemon and for a gallon of lemonade, only 1 lemon and 6 tablespoons of sugar is all thats needed.
Most pumellos are pretty sweet too, not sour like grapefruits, while it is a parent to grapefruit, the sourness of grapefruits comes from the bitter orange parent.

Personally, I would suggest air layering the big lemon producing branch then once its rooted, remove it and let the meyer be. then you have the 2 trees...
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here