Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three years of growth....

Posted by dcat22 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 21:40

Here is a pic of our Moro Blood Orange (in the back)...and how it looks three short years later. I didn't have the option of pulling the grass any farther back and some locals said it wouldn't do well. It seems happy enough.

The grapefruit is a little smaller, but showered in blooms this year. First year its been in full production (and the first year we've let it). We'll see how it goes. :)

The many days in the twenties this year in Texas, with ice on their leaves this year didn't bother them at all. (As advertised, but I wasn't sure I believed the claims.)

Front yard will be interesting in a few years...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three years of growth....

• Posted by Mr.Z 10a/9b (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 1:22

Wow, that is amazing.

o

Grapefruits are one of the more vigorous of all the citrus cultivars. Looks like you're keeping it well fertilized, which is important for citrus trees stuck in a lawn. We don't always have the luxury of putting our citrus in ideal locations, or making the location perfect for the tree. You've done a great job taking care of your tree.

Patty S.

o

Thanks, here is a better pic of them both I took today. In a few years, they may be a little...big...we'll see. I prune some for "tree appearance" since they are in the front yard. But other than water and fertilizer they've done most of the work.

I think the most important thing I've done for their health is keep (can't really see them in the pics) metal weedwacker fences around the trunk!

o

Yes, I would actually consider drop crotch pruning both trees this year to bring the height down. And yes, NO weed whacking on the trunk. That is the fastest way to kill a citrus tree besides sprinkling the trunks. Clearly they are well enough established to compete with the lawn for nutrients, so continue fertilizing (don't use any weed & feed types of lawn fertilizers, as your citrus trees will absorb that, and it will damage or kill them), and keep the watering regime, and you should be rewarded with a bumper crop of grapefruits!

Patty S.

o

A pretty interesting study by the CA MGs who hired Carl Whitcomb to fly out (from Oklahoma?) and set up test plots to determine the known allelopathic effect of grass. He found all that was needed was a 3 foot circle devoid of grass (i.e., 1.5 feet clearance around the trunk) to eliminate the allelopathic effect of grass on young tree growth.

Eventually the canopy will shade out underneath the tree and prevent grass growth. [Interestingly, St. Augustine, was the 3rd best ground cover of dozens tested--and the only true grass--tested under mature trees in a Acta Horticulture study so maybe it doesn't have an allelopathic effect.]

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 18:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here