Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little Meyer Lemon Quickly Turned Black!

Posted by lemonlam Phoenix, AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 21:55

Help! I juts purchased this Meyer Lemon Tree from Home Depot about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I've had no problems with it, and there were only about 2 or 3 teeny tiny yellow lemons starting to form (less than the size of a dime). I have been watering it and misting it, careful not to "over water", but all the sidden, I went out there this morning and noticed the little lemons that were forming are suddenly black! I'm assuming this is not normal, what could it be? What should I change, if anything? Also... how long until these blossoms will be full size lemons that I can eat?! THANK YOU to anyone who can help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little Meyer Lemon Quickly Turned Black!

It's not much help, but on my 10 ft lemon tree, a small percentage of baby lemons did this and I'd just pick them off. Didn't seem to foreshadow any problems, plenty of other healthy ones came and went. I always chalked 'em off as duds.

Not sure of the actual cause or level of concern though, sorry.

o
RE: Little Meyer Lemon Quickly Turned Black!

Perfectly normal. This is a very young tree in a small pot. I would expect it not to hold onto much fruit at all this year. Citrus will set far more fruit than they can support, then drop some to all, depending upon the age of the tree and conditions. Are you planning on planting this tree in the ground? If not, I would suggest transplanting it into a large pot, and one that is not black, with you being in AZ. Too much heat for the roots in your neck of the woods.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here