Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Mandarinquat

Posted by mandarin1 6b-7a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 22:08

I ordered a mandarinquat, looks like a very pretty tree to add to my little group of indoor citrus. Does anyone have one of these? What to do with the fruit? I thought to try it candied, maybe use as a flavoring in water, learn how to make marmalade? Does anyone eat these out of hand? Can you use the rind (zest) for cooking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Mandarinquat

There are 2 primary forms of mandarinquat, Nippon and Indo. It might be worth while to try and figure out what type you have. I have a Nippon, It's a fun citrus to grow because of the vigor, its a nice looking dense tree, with dark orange almost red fruit(later in the season), prolific producer & bloomer. Its alot like Meyer, not in the fruit but, the way it grows. If its not holding enough fruit it will bloom and bloom throughout the summer, until its holding so much fruit at multiple stages of ripeness(at least for me it dose). The drawback is the fruit is only moderately useful, This is surely more of a novelty tree. I have had them at all stages of ripeness and the best is very late, like now or even later, They hold well on the tree for fresh eating the begin to sweeten by this time and even beyond. The fruit gets the size of golf balls or tad bigger, they are juicy, many seeds, have sweet skin with some slight bitterness/aftertaste the flesh is as sour as a lemon if you pick them before around March(depending on your climate) I would think candied or marmalade would be very good uses.

o

I have had mandarinquats from Jungle Jim's international fruit market and they have a sweet rhine and sour interiour. Try juicing them to make an Indio mandarinquat pie or perhaps a mandarinquat meringue pie. And eat the solids peal and all. the solids should taste very good You'll get the best of both worlds.

o

Take a look at this website. It's kumquat recipes. I have a Nagami, which is a sour/sweet kumquat, and made the marmalade, and it's delicious. It's quick and easy because you have to add pectin, rather than cooking it until it makes its own. There are a lot of recipes here.

Here is a link that might be useful: look here for kumquat recipes

o

I didn't know there were 2 types ( I ordered Indio not knowing). Much thanks for the tree and fruiting informtion and the recipe ideas and link! So glad this won't be "only" an ornamental!

o

I have yet to see a nursery carry both the Nippon mandarinquat usually called an orangequat and the indeo mandarinquat, They sell one or the other. you didn't have a choice where you ordered. I have contacted many places about the culinary differences and have only got this answer, "I have never tasted the other"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here