Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

I am so ready to throw in the in the towel and toss my plants!

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

Do you have any idea of how sicking it is to have months upon month of cold and hardly any sun?

My trees have little chance to do much up here in my area unless I use artificial lights for months which cost an arm and a leg.. It's depressing...

Here is is almost the end of April and nothing but 40's and no sun insight for the next ten days..30's by night.

I am almost done...Without the warm long sunshine days, my trees skimp on growth and fruit...Nothing like the trees I am seeing in many here who live in warmer climates...I think I am just going to let them go.

Anyone else here feel the same? Anyone else tired of waiting on warm weather of lot's of sun to help them along? Anyone else limited to grow them the way you want?

I've accomplished what I need to know about growing citrus up here, and have been seasoned at it..But I am at the mercy of my ever changing weather to much colder temps for a much longer amount of time..Now I only enjoy two months of warm weather here.

I've already thrown away all my plumeria, desert roses and now tossing out some gardenia's. All need much better weather than I can offer anymore Citrus next

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 22:29

Comments (79)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Good on ya Bret... I am on your wavelength

• Mad Ferret
    9 years ago

Come to sunny England instead! As bad as your winter had been I've had a good year and my plants are all doing well. I've got over wintered chilli plants with fresh green chillies already! Well except my troublesome grapefruit that refuses to grow. :)

Anyway you can't give up Citrus because then you'll have to change your username.

I do think you may have to think most sustainably though. Insulated greenhouse with proper heating etc etc. I'm sure their are probably (long term) cheaper solutions than what you've got ATM.

Regards
    Nick

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm afraid that all mine are now dormant since it's only 38 degrees out all day and the same tomorrow...

It's suppose to be 70 Thursday and then maybe they will croak from shock,,,

At least there are no bugs!

Then I want to thank everyone for your kind words...It's hard at times..It use to be fun when my summers were long and warm..Now they have been shriviling at an alarming rate these past few years and it stinks..
    I'd move if I could but I care for my parents and they don't want to leave this area..

Growing these trees was fun when I could give them warmth more than I can now..My trees just don't like this weather anymore and I can't fit them all in a greenhouse..I would have to throw all my other tropicals out...Just do an Indian dance for me and hope that my warm summers return soon, will you?

All the weather poeple here blame it on the pollution in China causing disruption with the Pacifici flow which buckles the ejt stream to push cold air into north america at the starngest times...I'm not sure if there us hope if this is the reason..

But again, I will try and keep a postive attitude and listen to what all you good people and friends say..
    How can anything survive living in like a cave most of the year...That is what it's like around these parts...One day of sun then days of drizzle and low clouds...

Orange..I am so happy for you..That is an awesome surprise...Love it! IT actually looks very nice...
    Orange, the tree in the greenhouse is getting huge...I just can't reach it with all the other plants in the way..It shocked me..Thanks

John..Very good point and thanks..

Steve...Thank you

Patty...Good thought, I wish I could..

Nancy...Thanks for that:-))

Nick..Nice to see you..

And everyone else, what you say makes a ton of sense..I appreciate it once again..

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 16:13

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Mike

If you want to see how to do citrus easy and cost effectively and sill have a very classy looking setup, then click the link below. Pan down to the first picture. Click on that picture to see a photo album of how to set up your professional plant set up. He and I appear to be doing much the same thing . His setup is very professional looking while my setup uses scraps out of trash cans. and dumpsters. My setup looks that way to. Once you see his pictures you can see how to make something you would be proud to show off to company.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0414405929840.html?5

• veggie_girl
    9 years ago

You threw out plants???? Would love to dumpster dive for that.

• veggie_girl
    9 years ago

Don't give up! That's Mother Nature for you! You have to work with her for the love of plants.

• cfox248
    9 years ago

I'm growing potted citrus in zone 3, so I know how that goes. My trees are still inside. It snowed yesterday. They don't seem to mind - they're in a south facing window with a fluorescent grow light hanging above. In fact my Meyer is pushing out growth regardless of being inside! It bloomed inside last Autumn, too.

However, I have just two trees I have to worry about. It's easy enough to keep them happy throughout winter here. I can't wait till I can put them outside and see them flourish.

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Mike your parents couldn't have a better care giver than yourself they truly are in good hands. Your right we do have the exact weather we have had 2 days of the wind coming off the Atlantic dam it's raw outside not to mention all the rain. The lemon tree has lost maybe half of its leaves since I washed it that was a before I washed it picture. The sides and the back are totally bare but I am sure it will survive. Your GH is probably like mine , I have 1 foot of free space in there to wiggle my toes. I can't even reach the fruit in the back to pick them and if I try I get a branch or thorn in the face and still I am always looking for more , is this an addiction. The funny thing is I don't even eat many of them just the limes and lemons for my beverages. I also plant a beautiful vegetable garden and do I end up eating the stuff no. If it doesn't look like a chicken wing or taste like a rib steak I won't touch it. How healthy am I. But darn I sure love growing things as you do. We all on this form have a special gift for growing and caring. You will always have your special gift for caring please don't give up your gift of growing . Looking forward to see your new tree

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Mike

It is OK to throw in the towel.

Just keep your citrus and tropical trees. Global warming is around the corner. Soon all your citrus tree will need to be planted in ground.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve..You are too funny..lol

Just because there is a supossed Global Warming going on, it doesn't mean that everyone will warm up..In fact certain area will of the earth will actually get colder and there are very drastic temp swings at times of the year when there shouldn't be..Like for instance..
    38 degrees in July at my friends place in Vermont never seen before...
    Tornados for the first tiem here cause by extremely unusual cold weather rushed in last June..

If anything, our summers are shrinking and winters are warming, except for this year of course..

Brian...When I first started with citrus trees about 30 years ago, our summers were long, hot and sunny..Always starting in April up until about the end of September...They were consistently warm.
    You never had to worry about frost into June and certainly a heck of a lot more Bermuda highs which bring us summer..
    Those days are gone..So anyone telling me that my weather is warmer than is years past is talking about winter than summer..It seems our weather is reversing...

I would not be surprised to see frost as late as the end of next month, and if it kills my trees so be it..I don't believe in having to haul in my plants when summer should be here..lol

I am hoping this is just a passing phase and mother nature shows us some pity...
    While folks are suffering with tornados, floods, and earthquakes, I guess I should be grateful that all I have to deal with is the 30's today and grey skies...

Get this...The temps are suppose to rise sometime after midnight rapidly on the heels of storms to 25 degrees warmer for tomorrow...I can't wait for that..

I'll post some pics of my trees soon and the one I can't reach in the greehouse at this time...
    I hear you on the room thing...lol
    I do have a planted Lemon Meyer in the ground I have not been able to reach since winter began..It has grown a lot from what I can see..

I just picked up my Grapefruit tree from work so loaded with scale, I can't even see the twigs, branches or leaves..lol The scales are holding my whole tree together...I'll snap a shot of that..It is almost too funny to look at!

MIke

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Mike I guess we are not alone with problems this winter and spring. I was watching the news tonight and was astonished with the flooding in Pensacola Florida and the devastating tornadoes in Arkansas my heart really goes out to these guys. Pensacola had more rain in 1hr than California receives all year wow. I just pray some of that moisture will eventually swing over to the west coast , poor California has been suffering . So I guess we all have something to complain about . Mike lol about your scale problem DITO same problem how dare they attack my lime tree!! Trust me when I get the lime tree outside they are going to get the flat setting on my garden hose which will probably end up sending them flying over to my neighbors yard.
    I cannot live without a lime tree. My lemon was full of scale also past tense. The last time we had a spring and winter like this we had a scorching summer here's to hoping.

Cfox where in zone 3 do you live if you don't mind me asking . You are doing a astonishing job considering your conditions. Don't worry about the fertilizing they will let you know when they are hungry. If you want you can always add trace amounts every time you water and slightly more in the summer when they are outside. It really is a learning thing and everybody situation is different . I am sure you will have no problem. Wow citrus in zone 3 . I thought we were pretty special growing citrus in zone 5 you have us beat .

Brian

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Hey Mike.

Just wanted to say that years ago when I first found this forum your trees where what inspired me to grow what I have now. Your hard work and dedication to them is truly great. What you have been able to achieve in you zone is remarkable and something to be proud of.

I can completely understand your frustration because sometimes I ask myself why I put so much work into keeping something happy that really doesnt want to live here. Personally I enjoy the challenge. It gives my brain a work out to try and figure what does and doesnt work.

I hope to see you continue growing but completely understand if you take a break. Plus You wont be MeyerMike without a meyer lemon right? So you must keep at least one. LOL

hang in there buddy!

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey MIke....Thanks a million! I had no idea I had that affect on you:-)

I am rethinking but I may have to move..I am trying to talk my parents into it..My mother was crying after that saying she could never leave everything here behind..

Maybe the Jet Strean and weather patterns will finally change and favor warmth in my area longer than it has...

Thanks so much pal..You are amazing.. and So are your trees...

MIke

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Mike, good for you! I never EVER in a million years thought I'd live anywhere but the beaches of S. California. This little surfer girl never imagined that she'd be hauled completely across the country during her lifetime. It was a good thing, though. I learned to survive in all different climates, places and cultures. Your parents will thank you, if you move to a no-snow, no-ice climate. No more worries about slipping on the ice a breaking a hip or worse. Sitting out on your patio in January when it's a lovely 70 degrees, watching your citrus trees growing in the ground all around you. You're a talented guy, and can find good work anywhere. Do some job searching in my neck of the woods - San Diego county. We're growing at a fast rate here, jobs are around, the price of housing is not so bad if you look up in N. San Diego county, or anywhere a little inland. Climate is fantastic, and you have the beaches minutes away, the mountains a short hour or two drive, and you'd be in the citrus/avocado belt. What could be better than that??

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian, I have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many scales on my trees at work, you can't tell the difference between the branches or them..lol All the leaves are a shiny sap look and yet the tree is very vigorous..
    I took it home yesterday in the hopes it would finally see warmer days outside and so I could kill them all..This ought to be real fun..lol

Patty....I'm keeping my fingers crossed...It would take selling my buisness and quitting both my jobs, selling my home, and leaving everything behind, but worth it..
    I don't see us ever getting the summers like we use too and I am a summer, heat, humid kind of guy.
    I like to walk around with t-shirts and short when not working and still yet it's impossible around here..
    In fact, my favorite weather are the warm dog days of summer that come for but a brief moment now.
    That's right, I LOVE humdity, which I think your area lacks? Humm.
    Thanks for your kinds words as always...
    I have a job ahead of me to postion my plants to be safe despite what I think will be rather unusual cold nights..

Keep your fingers crossed for me and hope for a nice longer summer with many sunny days...I'll keep mine crossed for you:-))

Boy, even without the humidity, you make living there sound like a DREAM...YOu lucky person you..It shows in your attitude and your wonderful looking plants!

Good news...The sun just broke out after days in the 30's and 40's and it is about to touch 60. I think I finally see blue sky spots.Yippy I'm off for the next three days..Let's see how long this stretch will last? So far two days in a row has been the rule..
    I'll see if I can take some pics and possibly start a new thread..

MIke

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Gosh Mike it sounds like this might be a job for the orkin man . I have a few trees like that myself. I think we have finally turned the page on winter temperature right now is 68 and rising and no frost on the long range forecast :) . Half of my plants have been outside since the weekend and temperatures at night were in the 30s and they still were looking great this morning. Good luck cleaning your grapefruit and don't forget your rubber gloves. Here's to a hot and humid spring and summer you just can't beat it.

Brian

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian..Just for laughs.....I wil snap a couple of shots of the tree full of scale and then maybe we could give them all names before their last breath..

Really, I have never seen this many before..

It is just a PERFECT example of what happens when ones stops caring for them, ignores them, or developes an I don't care attitude..
    I think it's time to start caring again and pray for the best...

Mike

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Mike lol how about snap , crackle , pop and of course all the juniors and seniors of snap , crackle , pop . Mike it was 68 degrees when I got home within a half an hour 52 degrees GrÃÂrr. I will take a picture of some of my scale problems when I get the rest of my trees out. Holy cow it was a bad year for scale really gross. Looking forward to seeing your before and after shots . Right Mike you just have to laugh.

Brian

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sheesh..At this rate, they just might drown or freeze to death and just fall off if I leave them outside to long..lol

It's again raining and very cold..Try 45 and thunder....Maybe the environment will just be to hostile for all them buggers..This could be a good thing..ha..

Nite

• averil
    9 years ago

Mike, as the saying goes ...... "Don't let the bas@@@@s grind you down". I potter about on these boards, more often lurking than posting and I have seen you giving advice and helping other folks so often. I hope your weather turns good for you very, very soon and your plants start to see the benefit. Take care
    Kind regards
    Averil (uk)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Averil...Thank you. Such kind words and I have never met you. Nice to meet you:-)

As promised...

Here is a pic of my tree loaded with Scale..Many say not to nurture your trees, but I disagree..Disgusting, right?
    This is what happens when you let a tree go and almost give up on them...

If anyone chooses to ignore their trees most times, this is what happens...I already sprayed and they are all dead..But, here is what they looked like and just an example of what they looked like..Yuk is what I say.

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, May 4, 14 at 20:53

• cebury
    9 years ago

Didn't read the entire thread but so sorry to hear you struggling, friend. The excessive heat is a struggle here, too and surprise cold snaps make me have to run outside for hours to protect container trees I thought would be fine. It gets tiring, too. I lost several trees and stunted others when the watering system goes down in 100+ weather and I wasn't healthy enough to catch it until a week later.

Hope you can find a new balance or at least have great weather come your direction earlier next season.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

I am so impressed with all of the compliments that you have received about how you inspired many here on this forum. The first time I met you people were talking about your citrus and all of the other beautiful tropicals you grow.. People In The south couldn't grow trees like you could up in Boston. It's just a bad winter and many of us have had issues with our trees.

It has been a frustrating winter and most of us would admit that it has taken a toll on us and rethinking about the varieties and how many trees we have. I have cut back on My collection of trees so I can focus more on the ones I like the best verses on how many I have. Quality verses quantity does have its meaning and I think some of the advice given is spot on.

You have family roots that keep you from doing what you want and or need to do. Their will be a time when it's right to make the change. Sometimes we can't predict when it will happen. But it will....

Keep your head up, my dear friend. You have such an amazing ability to grow trees/ plants, but when you have a combination of things that add to our cold long winter it just adds to our frustration. it will get better, I know it will.

I remember you talking of taking a vacation and you were talking of how difficult it would be because of the amount of trees you have and watering issues. Think about that!!! Trim down your collection, have time to live.. Also enjoy your love of growing. This is supposed to be fun. You need time to relax.

Life is to short. Love your trees, love yourself.

I know you will choose the right path..

Xoxox

Laura

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Oh Mike I've heard of army ants before and if there was such a thing called army scales you have them poor you. On the third picture if you look close it almost looks like they have faces and looks like they are smiling I bet they are not smiling any longer . I am sure that grapefruit will look fantastic during the summer. I think spring is almost here Mike after 1 cold night on Wednesday night the temperatures look up up and away. Good job Mike.

Brian

• Mad Ferret
    9 years ago

I name the one at the bottom Sheldon. :)

Nick

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Mike I am with Laura on trimming down your collection or get use to the Idea of heating your house with lights over your citrus trees. I would also pot up and eventually end up in the 55 gallon half barrel. I use those and with a friend I moved it from my roof to ground level. my roof is 34 feet above the front porch. It is not as hard as you think. Remember, i am the one with the super heavy soil mix clocking in at 200 Pounds.

You will get a lot more fruit from your favorite trees

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Steve....

I'ts not the amount of trees that I have a problewm with, but the frustration of of not being able to provide warm sunny weather outsied when I am suppose too...It would be great if we could go back to the summers we use to have, but I don't think that is going to happen..So that is discourageing.....
    I think once I get solar panels, I might be talking cheaper electrical bills...But then, you should only have to use lights for a few months, not most of the year..lol

Laura, my dear Laura..You are just too sweet..Thank you for your suggestions...Between you and Patty, you know her right? And other fine friends here, I ahve realized that I am not the only one with challenges, by any means..How selfsish of me...We all have our demons when it comes to growing citrus...I don't think anyone has the PERFECT environment although I wish I has as much sun as others do.....

You know. the more trees I have the happier I am...I think many forget that it the 'blossoms' that I am in love with and the fragrance....Even if I was to cut back a lot, I would still have no one that knows how to care for my plants, unless I had none..lol..That is unless you can help which I would be thrilled!

Please realize that the growing part is FUN, but it's the weather that's not..It gets worst and worst each year making it harder to enjoy growing anything...

You are soooo sweet with your words and believe me it is so appreciated..I am happy we have been friends for so many years!
    Now, if you had to thin your plants out, all those plumies, where would you begin? lol You see..Not possible.

BUt if the winds, unusual cold and rains forced your plumies to fight everyday to thrive, there is where it gets discouraging...

But things are looking up..It's going to get much warmer soon and it has definitely change my mood and desire to keep at it...

Thank you so much for your kindness and love! Much hugs to you! xoxoxoxo

Brian..lllolol..Too funny..I think they are all dead now..Love it..They are actualy falling off before I could even name just one..lol
    Good luck with yours pal and thanks for your upbeat attitude..

Nick..Really? You are just too funny..ha

Cebury..You lost many too? That sucks..Even in a climate I would be lucky to live in..Ouch..So sorry//
    Thanks for your support man!

I'll update just as soon as the days warm above the 70's..I think it starts Saturday..Then I will see renewed growth and lot's of buds...Can't wait!

MIke

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, Mike. I didn't know you also owned your own business. So, moving would be rather an ordeal for you. But, it is awfully nice here. If you're close to the coast (from about where I am to the coast - that 6 mile span), it's humid enough. My relative humidity today is 55% at 1:30 pm. It can be lower during Santa Ana wind conditions, higher during our Monsoon season. Higher in general, the closer you are to the ocean. So, not too bad, actually. In what I would consider the "comfortable" range. Glad to hear your weather is warming up, though, finally. It's been one very long and cold winter for many in the USA, especially those on the eastern seaboard and in the midwest.

Patty S.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

You can't give up Mike.. those are your babies. :-) I can certainly feel your frustration. I hope things have warmed up some for you! I know it's been a crazy winter everywhere! Moving is hard no matter what, but I think someplace warmer would be good for you and mom in the long run. If you were to head someplace warmer, Tucson is toasty. ;-) Hugs! and love to mom!
    JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty..I was thinking..I think you mentioned that the humidity is kreeping up these past few years right?
    I wonder if your weather getting freaky has an impact on mine?
    It's as if the jet stream is steering my kind of weather your way, my summers to be precise, and England, Maine, or Greenlands weather my way since the jet stream now drops on me instead of retreating to Canada..
    I would move there, your state, in a heart beat to be near nice folks like you if I could...You never know, between your weather and that of Jojo's, it may happen some day..
    Yeah, my own cleaning buisness, massage one, and I work just about full time, besides work out 4 days a week from 8 p.m until 10:00 p.m..lol
    The weather is FINALLY tranquil here..69 and hardly a breeze here..It feels good for a change and I am sure my succulents and citrus are having a field day while I'm working..So much better for the my spirit and the trees...-)

I just put my trees that spent all winter at work outside..They got HUGE. Almost too big to put in my car..I use a shade cloth to cover them until they adjust to the sun for a couple of weeks....

Jojo...What the heck? I thought you were long gone from here...What an honor for you to post..It's been for ever.
    Thank you for that...They are my babies...Thinning the herd would kill me unless one croaked..And even that would upset me..lol
    You see how it starts?
    You think you are going to kill one here and there before the years out and buy extra just in case..Then you end up doing better than you thought and end up with babies and adults..lol
    I know I guy on the Cactus forums that is there now and he says it's kind of cold for him there.lol..What the?
    I miss your pics and the trees you use to post. I hope everything is well with you, the hubby and kids! The frogs too.

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, May 7, 14 at 16:06

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hi Mike! Just needed to stop in and look around. no.. I haven't been here in forever, no plants... Low 70's today, and cloudy it's been beautiful. Not sure what the guy from cactus is talking about. lol... Waiting on the frogs to start showing up.
    A move is an ordeal no matter what.. but you have to do what your heart tells you. Business's can start over in a new place ;-)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

Well, I'm guessing that when the fragrance of citrus blossoms once again floods your olfactory system you will recover your senses and remember why you go to all the trouble.

It's why I do.

I've gardened in the tropics and gardened in temperate zones and I far prefer the four seasons.
    I do have a modest light setup for my tropicals which costs me approximately $40 per winter month- a 600w switchable hps/mh and several compact fluorescent fixtures. It's not much but it keeps the tropicals going during the sad winter months.

Get outside and get some sun yourself- you'll feel better.
    I hope.
    You're a core person here- we can't lose you!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I am late to this thread and probably missed any talk about greenhouses. But it sounds like you could use a summer greenhouse for your citrus. The greenhouse should heat up even on cloudy days. Get those babies in there in April. Keep it well ventilated over summer.

Your plants should go to town!

• JoppaRich
    9 years ago

"Mike, unless you are gardening in a jailhouse garden, you are free to move to warmer climates. If growing stuff is important to you (it is important to me) remember you only live once and sometime in order to be happy, you have to make changes in your life. "

I grew up in Boston, MA, and spent a couple years in Chicago,IL, and decided that winter was just too depressing that far north.

I'm in VA now, SE of Richmond, in borderline 7B/8A. Long summers, short winters that never get too cold. Couldn't be happier about it.

So I agree with this advice. If you're not happy where you are, move.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

All my citrus trees are now putting out growth. Some more than other. As foe my kumquat trees. Well they are growing except my meiwa. I can count the number of leaves on my hands and feet. I would show pics but
    a) The growth is small and
    2) Photobucket has accused me of being 2 popular. I assured them that most people are tired of looking at my puny trees from seed. I'll post picture on my citrus book thread.

We are now getting temps in the upper 80's with nights in the 50's to 70's. Best of luck to you up on the north sea slope.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jojo..Hello! Have the frogs showed up yet? I have a few all winter in my greenhouse that I threw in there when they were about a thumb nail size...They love thet fact I feed them crickets once a month..lol
    they are not afraid of me and serande at night.

Steve...It's about time the weather is warm, right? Looking at the weather map today thought, it looks like the cold nights are back again...

Joppa..Thank you..It it was just me taking care of myself, I would of moved eons ago..I really can't handle the winters, not even the dry cold windy days even though above 60 degrees..
    But my parents come first and they refuse to leave this area...I feel bad for them...Maybe things will change in a good way..
    It would be nice if our summers got back to what they use to be..Time will tell.

Dave, I never thought of that..My greenhouse stands almost empty all summer..Now there is a thought...Thanks

Mike

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Mike I just wanted to talk about the weather I see you guys were talking about the weird jet stream tonight . I just took a peek at your weather for the next few weeks , not looking to good Mike . It looks like you guys are going to be getting that cold maritime east wind for the next few weeks Yuk. We had it today but is supposed to leave tomorrow back to the 70's for the rest of the week . Man that cold east wind goes right through you . I really feel your pain. You might have to put sweaters on your citrus tonight . We have had lots of thunderstorms this week and thank goodness they missed my area because they all contained large hail . Thanks mother nature but I would rather water myself . I hope things get better for you fast Mike.

Brian

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

The cold weather takes away all the enjoyment and fun out of growing anything. Just realized that my trees can be outside only for 3.5-4 months.

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

same here. plotting to make some plastic tents next year to control temperature a little bit. The fluctuation is just too big

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

From day of last frost in spring to first frost in fall here is about 5 months, which means that my trees are actually out only 4 months because I don't take any chances with them freezing. I admit I keep them in my greenhouse during the winter but they do much better outside.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

This year my trees were out by march 25 and I hope they can stay out till mid November.

Global warming Steve

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I hope mine can stay out till mid Nov as well...we shall see what this Fall brings....

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

By mid October we have a good chance of a hard frost.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Steven how nice are you? Thanks buddy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

I will have to wait until the 17 year cicada brood as killed all of my citrus trees to say I am done with citrus trees. I will not throw them out though. The soil is worth to much. They are a real pain to take care of and they don't produce more than 2 pounds of fruit a year.

Steve

• Silica
    3 years ago

All of the above postings, is exactly what happens in the north east of the country. My suggestion is to move out to the American west, with 320 sunny per year.

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    3 years ago

my trees sleep in the winter they are waking up now about one more week and I can put them out. only problems I have are super tropicals ( coconuts and durian trees) citrus is ok if I don't over water it. it's hard to Gauge watering because of cold.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

My new Zealand lemonade and valentine pomelo are growing gang buster and setting fruit. They are in ground.

NZL above 4 years in ground Tree is a gift from Pip

Valentine pomelo in ground 3 years with US897 roots from Tom.

Steve

• Phoenix Rising (Zone 7a/b, NJ)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

tcamp, my NJ Citrus are getting kicked out TOMORROW!

So DONE with this Winter, our minimum was only 15 F. but Feb. had persistent deep snow and March was COLD. This weekend all will begin the great exodus..., Citrus, Cycads, hardier palms (Phoenix and Livistonias). Deer devoured my "deer proof"plants this winter (Holly, Rhododendrons, etc)..., HAPPY SPRING!!!