Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Dekapon/Sumo

fairfield8619
11 years ago

Anywhere yet to get a plant? I bought 2 very expensive fruits and actually got a seed in the first one I ate. A bit underwhelmed though- good but not great and l little different tasting. Still don't know about the firm flesh. Maybe it was not picked just right. Should I try to grow it out or just wait until they come out. How hardy are they? I already have Owari and Brown's Select in the ground.

Comments (16)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Just in Florida for right now. The grower though, may be able to sell outside of Florida, but not into another citrus state I believe. Cannot tell you what nursery has the Shiranui (Dekopon), but there is at least one Florida nursery selling the Shiranui.

Patty S.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I emailed FW a few months ago and they said could ship to LA, I was surprised. LA doesn't have much of a citrus industry anymore and it's 400mi away from me at the tip of the Mississippi river. Some still think of it as a producing state for some reason. I wish they would go by zip codes and not just the whole state. Apparently MS is not a citrus producing state and conceivably, they can order anything and they are very close the the LA production area. Not too fair and not too logical to me. There was never any commercial citrus here and I'm pretty sure there won't ever be- it's far too cold.

11 years ago

Fairfield, did you mean that FW canNOT ship to LA (but can to MS)? I know that laws seem arbitrary, but things are so very tight right now because of the threat of HLB. So, we all just have to "deal with it", so we can try to keep our citrus safe.

Patty S.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They told me they could ship to LA. And like I said MS, AL are not citrus producing so they can receive plants even though they are closer than I am. Yes quite arbitrary and totally illogical. And so "deal with it" means that someone who is just a short distance from the producing areas can get plants and jepardize it all. While someone like me who wants to grow in a pot or try one in the ground cannot. And as I said the citrus industry in LA consists of just a few acres of trees and that was before Katrina. Why should I be penalized when there is NO possibly that it will damage any citrus production since there is no citrus grown here. Typical overreaction. LA is not CA or FL as far as citrus is concerned.

• bgtimber75
    11 years ago

Still my all time favorite citrus too bad I can't find one to get shipped to me.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I was going to update an older topic but I'll just say it here. I found a dekopon seed awhile back and It has sprouted.

Patty, I keep the strongest one right? So far it is nice and green not albino like some has posted.

Isn't Harris nursery the one in Florida who have it and can ship it?

Mike

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

What does FW stand for?

11 years ago

Mandarin

I believe they are talking about Four Winds Nursery in California. They are a highly recommended citrus nursery.

Mike

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

Oh, of course ( Hitting myself upside the head)! I thought the reference to FW was a Dekopon source in Florida..Thank you! I would be interested in a source if anyone knows one...

11 years ago

Yes and yes, Mike. Keep the strongest one, that will be the clone seedling. You can keep the others, just know they could be hybrids. But, since Dekopon are grown in large blocks, your multiple seedlings actually have a good chance of being either all clones, or a hybrid of a Dekopon and a Dekopon. So, I would keep them all, just label them accordingly. And yes, it is Harris Nursery in FL that are propagating the Shiranui (same thing as Dekopon), and I believe they have been able to get inspected and approved for shipping out of state (to non-citrus states). So, mandarin, if you want to contact Harris Nursery in Florida, they can ship to you if you're not in a quarantined citrus state. And fairfield, if Four Winds can ship to you, not sure what the concern is?? I'm not following you. Is it Harris Nursery that cannot ship to you? And that they can ship to AL or MS, and someone could simply drive across the state line? People do nefarious things all the time, so this is not really surprising. Just human nature at it's not finest :-(

Patty S.

• jbplantobsessed
    11 years ago

I went on a sumo binge this spring. I cannot even count how many I ate LOL Anyhow, I managed to find about 10 seeds. I have planted 6, and 4 are sprouting. There are so many seedings that spout from each individual seed!! It will be difficult to figure out who the clone is. I hope I don't kill them...

• krismast
    11 years ago

Patty,

I looked on Harris' website and I couldn't find shiranui at all. Their website also says that they cannot ship out of state at this time. Maybe they're website is out of date. I'm going to contact them and see if they have any updated info!

Kristopher

This post was edited by krismast on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 20:53

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

Harris' Citrus in Lithia, Fla? Their Facebook page says they got the OK to ship out of state in Feb 2012, here's the FB address but nothing on Dekopon ( by any of the names)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harris-Citrus-Nursery/221206277934263

11 years ago

Youll have to call and ask for it. Talk to Ruth if you can. Some other members of another forum have been able to get Dekopon from them but they had to contact them about it.

mike

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike, I e-mailed them but no reponse...will try calling.

10 years ago

well here is my little Dekopon seedling. Ill let you know how it tastes in about 8 years, LOL.
    {{gwi:583218}}

mike