Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fak005

Page Mandarin fruiting - Help

fak005
11 years ago

Hello, I had planted a Page Mandarin plant with beautiful white fragrant flowers about a month and haf ago in March. The pamphlet that came with the tree (5ft tall) said it need cross pollination from another variety. However, I don't have any other citrus variety near it.

Surprisingly, I see that there is fruit formation ( I assume self pollination may work in page mandarin), however, the fruits haven't gwon much in the last 4 weeks. I am attaching a picture.

can someone confirm
a) If these are actual fruits and self pollination is good for Page Mandarin

b) Is the growth of the fruit very slow, how long does it take for the fruit to normally mature?

c) Any fertilizer I can add to enhance this process or yield

I am North TX region. Thanks for the feedback in advance

Comments (3)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

I don't know if it has been determined whether or not the Page mandarin requires a cross-pollinator. Mine produces heavily, but then, it is surrounded by many other citrus cultivars. The suspicion it does is due to being 3/4 Minneola, which does not produce well without cross-pollination and is self-incompatible (it cannot pollinate itself), and a Clementine mandarin, which some varieties also produce better with cross-pollination. It may be that the Page is simply parnthenocarpic, andis able to produce fruit without pollination, which is the case with the majority of citrus cultivars. If Silica sees this post, he may be able to provide additional info about the Page.

However, what you see are indeed fruit. Most citrus set much more fruit that it can develop, so don't be surprised if you see some fruit drop. Page will mature here where I live between November and January, so you should be able to pick mature fruit in about 7 to 8 months.

As far as helping along the process - just a good, regular fertilizing program will help to support the leaf canopy which will then be able to support fruit. I would check with your local extension office, as you indicate you're in zone 7, which is pretty marginal for citrus. So, you don't want to fertilize too early, in case you have a late freeze, or too late, as you'll want any new flush to have a chance to develop and harden for the same reason. And, you're probably going to need to take some protection measures during the winter with your Page.

Patty S.

• fak005
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks much Patty for your detailed response. I really had no idea that circus fruits take 6-8 months to mature, that explains why I am seeing a slow growth in the size of the fruit. I appreciate the information

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I'm in Houston, and the growers here say not to let any citrus produce fruit the first year it's planted. They need to spend that first year growing a strong root system. I've done this with all the citrus that I planted a few years ago and am getting good harvests now. I just planted 5 more citrus in the last 2 or 3 months, and none of them will be allowed to produce any fruit this year. It's recommended that you do this, or your tree may never produce well. I've heard several people who called the local gardening program on radio complain that their citrus didn't produce well and the host asked them if they let it produce the first year, and all of them said yes. I just plucked a couple of ponderosa lemons off the tree I planted this year. It was hard, but I'd rather let the little thing grow strong first.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!